Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP PC Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

I ran a quick scan using MBAM. It found 3 files in one of the user Documents and Setting directories (that's going from memory).

I let it remove the files and when it finished, it prompted for a reboot. I let it go ahead and reboot the PC.

Now I've got a problem. When the PC rebooted, I get a blue screen stating:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7C613DC, 0xF7C610D8, 0x86AB0805) "

I tried rebooting to safe mode, safe mode with command prompt and Last known working version but each one of these resulted with this same screen appearing.

I'd like to get it working correctly again without reinstalling WinXP. Short of that, I'd at least like to get it running enough to be able to backup some of the data / files on the machine.

I'm at your mercy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ChuckLHead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

It appears that your NTDLR file may be corrupted. If you have a original XP installation CD you can use the recovery console to repair using the chkdsk /r command. Information is here:

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-...-error-code.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

Note one link includes instructions for making your own recovery console CD...It won't install XP just the recovery console portion.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

Just to confirm that I have the right CD, I've located the following CD for this computer:

Operating System
Already Installed on Your Computer
Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Including Service Pack 2

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

That sounds to me like the right one....as long as it doesn't state "recovery" you should be OK...Recovery CD's are different animals altogether...

#5 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

I've been trying to follow the advice in:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

that shows the steps for NTDLR problem as:

NTLDR
Boot Device is Inaccesible (boot.ini)
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- bootcfg /rebuild

System Hive is Corrupt
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- restore System Hive from backup

other File missing or corrupt
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- restore copy from backup

Working in the Recovery Console. Ran CHKDSK /r. It took about 45 minutes to complete but it finished.

I then ran bootcfg /rebuild.

On reboot, I still get the same blue screen message.

I'm not sure what to do from here.

Also, as part of the bootcfg /rebuild , it prompts for a "load identifier". Not knowing the significance of this, I've managed to add 2 entries that I'd like to remove. I'm assuming that I should have just one entry / identifier, the default "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". I'd like to clean this up, too, assuming that we can get to a clean boot in the first place.

Thanks.

ChuckLhead

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

How to rebuild the Windows boot.ini Using Bootcfg - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

Louis

#7 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

No change.

I still get the blue screen with the same message and the exact same error code.

Additionally, I now have 5 load identifiers.

I'd like to clean out the boot.ini if I can.

Is it time for FIXMBR and FIXBOOT? If so, one or the other or both? If both, in what order should I run them.

Thanks.

ChuckLHead

#8 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

My mistake. Sorry. :thumbsup:

Edited by thcbytes, 22 December 2009 - 11:12 PM.

Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

You have a log that is properly posted, here, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If you are not going to follow through on the help you are getting, please let the helper know in that thread so that your topic can be closed.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

The problems are on 2 different computers and completely independent of each other.

I am still working on cleaning up the first PC (notebook) and the second PC (desktop) crapped out on me.

Now I'm trying to work on both.

My apologies for not making that clear when I opened this post / topic.

Thanks.

ChuckLHead

Edited by ChuckLHead, 20 December 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

Well...I think that you ought to take a look at what 24 STOP errors might indicate, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, left column.l

If it's a problem with the file system that is of minor consequence...chkdsk /r may be able to take care of it. If it's a problem with NTFS that is of major consequence...my experience is that one needs to prepare to create the partition again.

I don't think either fixboot or fixmbr addresses your potential problems, just as bootcfg does not.

Louis

#12 ChuckLHead

ChuckLHead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

So far, nothing has worked to get the machine to boot.

What hope is there for getting data off the drive at this point?

Thanks.

ChuckLHead

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

You can slave the hard drive...to a known good system...and move data from one partition (your drive) to another.

That's the easy way.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot then read/access/move data from the drive (corrupt NTFS, bad hard drive, etc.), then you try any one or more of several data recovery programs.

Louis

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

Another option is to download and burn an iso image of linux (any flavor will work...I prefer puppy which is small and runs off of RAM instead of HDD) and access your files from there. Pretty easy to use...You can save them to external hard drives, CD's, DVD's, flash drives, pretty much anything...You will be making a Live CD which you can use anytime without installing another O/S onto your hard drive...

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=...g%20Started.htm

You can also try to repair XP...Which is what I would try before a clean installation...but that is up to you...

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users