Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Defense virus fix

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lfeflght

lfeflght

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

Someone recently posted that they received the malware defense virus popup.

Here's how I was able to get rid of it.

Download the Avast virus scanner (It's free for home users and VERY GOOD)

Run the scanner in the Thorough setting (This will take a while but it's worth it. Turn off your internet access while you are doing this)

While scanning keep your task manager open when the Virus defense tries to run just end the application it will stop it. (I just kept closing the other popups that kept happening. Yeah it's a pain, but worth it)

When you restart the computer it will find one more infection at start up and that will remove the last of it.

Hope this helps!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 melohay

melohay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Doesnt the virus block the installation of the avast virus guard? If so what do you do?

#3 lfeflght

lfeflght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

It actually didn't block the installation. So you should be OK.

If it did block it. You probably have something else. If it's blocking the ability to go to websites you have something else. Let me know.

Good luck

#4 Kyle LeBoeuf

Kyle LeBoeuf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

Bleeping Computer has already posted a detailed removal guide for Malware Defense.

You can view it here.
Kyle
Apple Certified Support Professional 10.5

#5 Centuck

Centuck

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

So i had this malware defense thing on my computer and it was freezing my computer and it blocked my Mcaffee anti-virus and my connection to the interenet on my desktop comptuer. So i went into safe mode and deleted malware defense and also deleted richtx64.exe and c.exe as they were potential viruses in my startup menu in msconfig. So when i tried to startup my computer again, it will no longer get into windows in normal mode, it freezes all the time at the welcome screen.

Next i tried to do a system restore, but that fails and does nothing. So i tried a system file check but that also gets an error and fails. So i downloaded avast onto my laptop and transferred it onto my desktop in safe mode and it found one worm called win32:agent-jxl which was in an e-mail in my archive folders from 2 years ago. I deleted that and nothing changed. So now i am trying the thorough search with avast to see if it will come up with anything but it is super slow at this so i will have to wait a long long while.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, i am all open for thoughts!

Thanks guys!
Centuck

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, i am all open for thoughts!

Bleeping Computer has already posted a detailed removal guide for Malware Defense.

You can view it here.

A link to the removal guide was posted just above your request for suggestions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Centuck

Centuck

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

they sure did, and those methods did not work.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Removal guide has been updated to reflect new changes in what malware is bundled with Malware Defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users