Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Login - winlogon.exe and Internetsecurity2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tommoz

tommoz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hey guys i posted on another forum but i was told to come here to try and seek help.

2 days ago I somehow got the InternetSecurity2010 Virus on my computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

Iv had some experience with virus's like these over the last few years and i have been able to remove every program that has infected my computer since, however this one has me beat. Its got all the usual symptoms, such as: the pop ups, i cant use bleepingcomputer.com on that computer - i just get redirected to another site, i cant open task manager as the file is "corrupt" and i cant run any anti-virus programs either. So i decided to manually delete it. I googled the virus and found some sites that weren't blocked and they said to delete the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVR10.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\critical_warning.html
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe
C:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe

So off i went and deleted all of these that i could. After doing so i ran msconfig, set it to safemode and then disabled all the non-windows processes that start on startup. Now heres the problem, after restarting i went to login, and was instantly logged back out. I click on the icon to log in, it says "Loading Personal Settings" then instantly changes to "saving personal settings" and returns me to the login page. I went on my laptop and then googled this. The main cause of this is that some Trojans modify userinit.exe so that the user cant login. I used the windows recovery console and replaced the old userinit.exe but i still cant log into my computer.

What i don't understand is that i only deleted the files that i mentioned in this post. None of which are critical windows files. I'm starting to think that maybe i deleted a different file by mistake and i dont remember doing it, but I'm stumped. I think the only solution is to reformat, but i thought I'd post it here to see if anyone has any ideas first.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:05 AM

You are currently faced with the Logon/Logoff Loop: Presumably in your particular case, this is caused by a corrupt registry entry, rather than a missing or corrupt userinit.exe file. If you follow the instructions in the link below, to create a BartPE CD, and then under the heading "Verifying and fixing the Userinit value in the registry" the Logon/Logoff Loop problem should be resolved.

How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
Scenario - Incorrect registry value preventing you from logging on to your user account in Windows XP ?
Verifying and fixing the Userinit value in the registry.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users