Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c:\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:10 AM

Running this by you as simple as I can
Computer blue-screened and rebooted into an error message of a c:\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing. Ran several "repair" attempts with windows xp install cd as Don explained in http://forums.driverguide.com/archive/index.php/t-2004.html. System files in Recovery Console said they could not be copied. Repair option in Windows Install was not available. Transferred my hard drive into a secondary computer, set it up as a slave drive. Drive is completely accessible including the c:\windows\system32\config folder. Is there a possible way to replace the corrupt system files manually through slave drive to repair the drive and get it working properly without reformatting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:59 AM

Is there a possible way to replace the corrupt system files manually through slave drive to repair the drive and get it working properly without reformatting?

Oh, yes ... that is probably the easiest way to do the job.

BUT ... first things first .... have you run Check Disk? File corruption causing the message you received, can often be easily repaired this way.
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Double-click on My Computer > right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the Error checking section, click on "Check now" > place a tick in both boxes > Start
This test may take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
Please note any message shown after the check has completed.
If any errors were found, repeat the process.

Does your system start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

Ok so I ran check disk and it finished with no interruptions and no errors. Reinstalled the hard drive in the original computer, started and Windows advanced menu for safe mode came up. First attempt, I selected "Start Windows normally." Windows loading screen began, went black and stayed. Computer does not at this point restart by itself. I restarted computer and when advanced menu came up again I selected "Safe mode" and DOS menu began loading and stalled. At this point I am NOT getting the "c:\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing" but I still cannot get the computer to work properly.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Please try the following (now that you have run Check Disk) before we move on to something more complicated ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

Attempted more than 10 times to boot computer from Last Known Good Configuration with no progress.

If this is important, I forgot to post what file computer stopped on during Safe Mode load - File multi(0)disk(o)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

When Booting from Windows XP cd computer Blue screens and goes to STOP Error 0x0000006F. Only does the blue screen while starting Windows from the CD.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

If this is important, I forgot to post what file computer stopped on during Safe Mode load - File multi(0)disk(o)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

That is normal: mup.sys is the last file to load, and that is the normal situation in a fully functioning system.

0x0000006F: SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
The process creation failure indicated by this error message can only happen during the fairly brief time that the Windows Executive is being initialized, which is during phase 4 of Windows startup. Typically there is a problem with a device driver or with a missing or corrupt system file used during Windows startup.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Hmmmmmm .... that is interesting! Will be back to you shortly.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

Please try booting from the XP CD again, to see whether "Blue screens and goes to STOP Error 0x0000006F" is repeatable and consistent. If that is the case I will review what I am currently preparing to post, since you obviously won't be able to boot from the XP disk, to use the Recovery Console.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 December 2009 - 05:42 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

First three tries of booting Windows from CD resulted in the same error after "Setup is Starting Windows." This last try Windows Setup actually continued to Windows XP Professional Setup without blue screening.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

This last try Windows Setup actually continued to Windows XP Professional Setup without blue screening.

After running Check Disk (chkdsk /r), hopefully you will no longer experience this "System files in Recovery Console said they could not be copied." An off-line system restore stands a good chance of getting your system up and running again, so that will be the next step I suggest that you try. I will stick with using the RC at the moment (instead of using your other Windows system), since the hdd is back in its box. If you experience anything that does not appear to work as it should (according to the instructions), please post about it before attempting to proceed further.

You wrote: "Ran several "repair" attempts with windows xp install cd as Don explained in http://forums.driverguide.com/archive/index.php/t-2004.html "
There are better (more complete) methods to do a "system restore from the Recovery Console", and I suggest using the following ...
Instructions: How to perform an "off-line System Restore" ... Windows XP
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652
(There are a few mistakes in the the instructions text, but simply ignore those.
There is a significant mistake in Step #6 when changing the prompt back one directory level: This is given as cd..
In fact you must enter a space between cd and the two dots, so that it looks like this cd .. )

Please work carefully and deliberately, one step at a time: It is possible that you could be thwarted at any stage.
If you experience any problem with any step of the procedure, please stop, and post a description/question.

*Note: Please be very exact with reading and typing the commands. They MUST be EXACTLY CORRECT, spaces and all.

Does your system start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 December 2009 - 06:21 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

In Step 8 : "We will have to change the rights to the folder by entering the following commands

cd windows
cd system32
cd config

and then press enter. Now we have to Rename the system file to system.bak by entering ren system system.bak and then press enter. Now restart the computer by typing exit and pressing enter and start back step 1. "

Do you press enter after EACH command.

EX -
cd windows (enter)
cd system32 (enter)
cd config (enter)

I ask this because I'm confused. If I press enter after cd windows is takes me to c:\Windows. I got back to cd .. and then try typing all three into one line and press enter "c:\> cd windows cd system32 cd config" it gives me "The parameter is not valid"

typed something wrong. That was the initial issue there.

Edited by Magdalena, 20 December 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

Do you press enter after EACH command.
EX -
cd windows (enter)
cd system32 (enter)
cd config (enter)

Yes, that is correct: After each command press the <ENTER> key.

One other little thing ...
Re: "Rename the system file to system.bak by entering ren system system.bak and then press enter"
It is possible ... even likely ... that "system.bak" already exists, and if so, you will get an error when attempting the above.
Better to do this ..
"Rename the system file to system.old by entering ren system system.old and then press <ENTER>"
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

WOOT! That Recovery Console walkthrough worked perfectly! Everything seems to have started back up just as it normally should. Thank you SOO VERY MUCH for taking time to help me contiuously throughout the day. I do have one quick question before going, is there a way to avoid such an issue?

Again thank you so much. You made my day!

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

WOOT! That Recovery Console walk-through worked perfectly!

Very pleased to hear it, thank you Magdalena. Yes, it gets a lot of people out of trouble, without too much fuss.

You wrote: "is there a way to avoid such an issue?"
Are you trying to do us out of a job?

Sometimes these things happen!
I can suggest the following ...

Any time that your computer has an "untimely" or "untidy" shut-down .... run a Disk Check.
Start > Run and type in chkdsk /f
(From the Recovery Console, this is chkdsk /p)

* chkdsk /r is a easy instruction to provide, and it "sort of" does both the above and below jobs, but it's not quite as good as doing both jobs separately.

and occasionally check your hard drive for disk errors ...

Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status.

Firstly, you need to find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu. Another alternative is to use something like Everest or Belarc Advisor.

EVEREST Free Edition 2.20
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1b)
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

The free version of the following is useful to have also ...
HD Tune
http://www.hdtune.com/

Edit: If you are really serious, there is some excellent advice in the following ...
DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

Take care and good luck.
'Alien

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 December 2009 - 07:44 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users