Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start Windows/Computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kachu

kachu

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

My computer keeps restarting non-stop.
I'll get stuck on the follow page:
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully..." and the screen would give me a couple options to select from.
I tried booting it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally.
All of which won't work and would bring me back to the same screen.
I haven't been able to get into Windows, so I can't tell what I'm infected with.
Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

Please provide any information that you can about what was happening/what had recently happened when this problem first occurred. Do you have reason to think that the problem is caused by a malware infection?

Please do the following first up ...
Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in details, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 kachu

kachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

There were only a couple things that I remember happening the last time I used the computer before this problem started occurring. There was a sudden quit on firefox while I was browsing, and when I re-opened firefox to start a new session, there were popups that immediately started appearing. I shut down my computer that night, and the next morning I couldn't get into the system.

The BSOD error message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF8A1B378, 0xF8A1B074, 0x82EA7805)

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD).1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the <ENTER> key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press <ENTER>.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r".)
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 kachu

kachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Yes! Windows starts normally now.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Yes! Windows starts normally now.

Very good! Now let's see if we can do something about that malware you mentioned.

Try the following ...
Please use the instructions provided in post #2 by garmanma at the following link, to run MBAM (Quick Scan), ATF Cleaner, SAS and Dr.Web CureIt!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1499922

*Remember to update MBAM & SAS before running each scan.
If you can't access Safe Mode, when the instructions call for doing so, just use Windows in normal mode.
Remove all problems found: Then post the logs from each of the scans (no log from ATF Cleaner).

Follow that up with a Full Scan by MBAM, and post the log from that too.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 cursedxwaters

cursedxwaters

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

I'm having the same problem. I've tried to do the steps that AustrAlien showed, but for some reason when the recovery console asks which windows installation i would log onto and i type 1 or 2, nothing happens?

Edited by cursedxwaters, 31 December 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#8 Erickthrocyte

Erickthrocyte

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

I'm having same problem. Here's the message I got on my blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage to your
computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop
error screen, restart your computer. If this
screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any window updates you might need
If the problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup option, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
STOP: 0x000000ED (0x863789E0, 0xC0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users