Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raptor X 150, Windows 7 64bit problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

So I bought A western Digital Raptor X Hard drive and Installed it in my system. I tried to install windows 7 on this drive but windows will not recognize the drive at all. When I boot into windows, the drive is picked up right away and I can see it and format it (which I did in NTFS) and even store files on it. The bios recognizes the hard drive as well. Acronis true image will not recognize the drive either in windows mode. I have not tried an Acronis boot disk. I have no clue what I should do . all of the settings seem to be in order and yet I cannot install windows 7 64 to this drive. What do I need to do?

also- The drive is installed on a sperate channel on the board and it actually defaults to the boot device, I went in and changed it just so i could get into windows and try to get some help with this.

thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

How many drives are attached to the system...when you attempt this install?

What version of Win 7 are you trying to install?

Try deleting the current partitions on the drive...disconnecting/removing all other drives (flash and hard)...and then attempting the install.

Louis

#3 reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply! I found a Solution to the problem. I used Data Lifeguard tools to format the drive for A Windows XP install (that was the latest version of windows it would let me pick). Next I put in the Windows 7 disk and the drive was detected as a 129 gig drive with 11 gigs of unallocated space. I deleted the volume, made a new one that formatted out to 139.7 gigabytes. I exited the windows installation program Loaded Acronis and cloned the other drive, all worked well.

In hind sight I'm sure I could have done it without the windows installation. Meaning that I could have booted the computer after I did the format with Data Lifeguard. Then used the windows Disk manager to fix the unallocated space and then ran Acronis. I'm not sure why It had to be such an adventure to begin with. Do you Have any clues as to why? This thread is solved. I am running Win7 64 on the drive.

Also, is there a way to mark this thread "solved"?

Edited by reddwarf1387, 20 December 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Edit: Heh heh, I was typing as below while you were posting...

If hamluis' suggestions don't resolve it for you (USB devices attached is a known issue for odd install behaviour), then maybe using the WD Data Lifeguard tools could help. Folk having the same drive recognition problem when installing Vista 64 report zero-filling the drive sorted it for them:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...611&lang=en

Others said initialising the drive first from Drive Management caused it to then be recognised during the install, but it seems you've already done that.

Edited by Platypus, 20 December 2009 - 05:55 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users