Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this plan work out?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzetsu

Fuzetsu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

I'm going to buy a new computer and it's a prebuilt one. This is the computer that I'm planning on getting (better/more detailed specs here.)

I'm planning on also placing in a new graphics card. I have my sights on a Radeon HD 4650. To do that, I'm also going to need a new power supply unit. I have this one in mind.

I just have two questions:

1. Will this setup work? I'm hoping that this power supply has enough juice for this GPU as well as the rest of this computer. It's a 500W compared to the stock 300W that's included in this PC. I'm just wondering if this sounds like enough. I'm not concerned about having more than i need. If it's not below minimum recommendations, I'm fine. I also do not plan on having any SLI/Crossfire setups. That's a bit overkill and not really something I'm interested in.

2. Will heat be an issue? Again, I'm not really into the whole SLI/Crossfire setup and I'm most definitely not into overclocking.

And if it helps, I did a little research on the computer and it turns out that this is the PSU that's included in the computer to begin with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

that should work, but for that amount of money, I would think you could build your own system from scratch that would match those requirements if not better and last longer. I have no respect for gateway computers, have seen several ones that just quite simply were junk and failed long before they should have. they use cheap parts, especially the motherboards, they used to use almost exclusively ECS boards which failed often, and they may have changed, but I still dont trust them. Building a system isnt that hard :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:14 AM

Sparkle makes a decent power supply
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Fuzetsu

Fuzetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

I'd love to build my own system from scratch, but my parents just need a new computer and don't want the hassle of putting one together. Since it's going to be shared among us, I figured that I'd throw in just a few of my own parts so i could actually play my games on them ;)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

just promise to go through all the hassle for them lol but no I see where your coming from. that should work, Antecs a good brand, though I think Id get a higher rated one that then. it will do the job but is rather weak, I would check on newegg theyd have a better lineup. I typically trust Coolermaster, Antec, Corsair, and OCZ PSUs. for video cards if your going ATI, I will emphasize this, you CANNOT go wrong with a saphire card, I strongly recomend them. I put saphire cards in all my builds, both personal and for customers and never had a problem with them. they are good, dependable cards I would stick with them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users