Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - User Account Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

I've had Windows 7 for a long time, and usually when I find a bug, I can usually figure out a way around it or make it less annoying. But now I have a slight problem that I cannot fix.

I guess I should start with my computer specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545 - purchased May 2009
came with OEM Windows Vista Home Basic...
later partitioned off a space for the Release Candidate of Windows 7...
after enjoying it, used a registry hack to upgrade from the Ultimate RC to the Professional RTM (available free from my college's MSDN AA account)
a while after that, backed up everything, wiped the hard drive, and applied the backup of 7 to the empty hard drive. A few recovery reboots and I was back in business (with no Vista. Yay!!)
3GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
250GB hard drive

Now that that's out of the way, my problem is this:

I cannot "Manage another account" via the User Accounts gui. I can only manage them using the command prompt (net user username). Yes, I am an administrator. I'm the only user. Even if I activate the Administrator account via the command prompt:

net user Administrator /active:yes

and log in using it, I still cannot "Manage another account". When I click the link, nothing happens. The "Start Navigation" click sounds, and that's it. I remember in Vista, you could activate the Guest account, add new accounts, etc. But for some strange reason, Windows 7 does not allow me to do that. The only thing I can do on that screen is "Change your password", "Remove your password", "Change your picture", and "Change User Account Control settings".

I cannot "Change your account name", "Change your account type", or "Manage another account" as I mentioned earlier.

I love Windows 7, but this one little thing has irritated me since I got it.

To put you at ease, I have an updated Anti-virus program (Sunbelt Software, run through Avanquest Fix-It Utilities Professional 9), updated Windows, and I run MalwareBytes weekly. I also use Mozilla Firefox exclusively as my internet browser. I found a good reason for doing this after my sister's laptop got infected with the AntiVirus System Pro "scareware". Kudos to MalwareBytes!! (she now uses Firefox instead of IE, even though I've been trying to get her to switch for months now)

I just can't figure out what's keeping me from changing stuff via the User Accounts gui. I can do it via the command prompt like I said (and we all know command prompt tricks are cool), but when I'm testing things (adding, deleting dummy accounts), it would be nice for this to work. Even if I don't need it, it just plain bugs me!!

So, can you fix my "bleep"-ing computer?

Thanks,
keyboardNinja

Edited by keyboardNinja, 19 December 2009 - 09:47 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users