Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Blocking all Anti-Malware/Anti Virus websites

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MustangGuyGT

MustangGuyGT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hello. I am working on a friends machine that seems to have a nasty infection. This machine is a dedicated server running Windows Server 2003 Web. Everything I am doing to it is via remote desktop which is making it a little more of a challenge. Web browsing on the server was incredibly slow when he asked me to take a look at it. I figured he was infected with something so I was going to try and install a few things on it and run a few scans, only to find that all of the sites that I found to use are blocked or disable by whatever is infecting the server. Any attempt to access an anti-virus or anti-malware website results in a message stating server cannot be found. Any other website can be accessed though.

There is an FTP server running on this machine, so I do have that availability to FTP to the server to get any file or program to it that I need to. Please just let me know what you need from me and I will get it up here as soon as I can. I am a fairly experienced user and can grasp things pretty easily. Thanks for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

Jamie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cookmiester

cookmiester

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

If it doesn't block you from softpedia or download.com, the get the anti virus software from their sites instead. Hopefully it won't block them. When they are downloaded, rename the file names.

#3 MustangGuyGT

MustangGuyGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have tried that. I installed PC-Tools Anti Virus since it is the only free AV out there I know that works on Server 2003. It installs ok, but it seems to stall when running and it is blocked from updating. I have tried a few other programs, but they all seem to do the same thing. They either act like they are loading and I never see the main screen pop up or the program just hangs and I have to kill the process using task manager. Every once in a while the program will load so you can see it, but you can't get it to do anything and cannot update itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users