Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE someone tell me what I am doing wrong

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xesvuli420

xesvuli420

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have a Dell Studio 15 hooked to a RCA 56 HDTV

The laptop has HDMI, and VGA outputs only

The TV has DVI-D, Component, Composite, S-video, and the Coaxial inputs only

I am trying to hook my laptop up with a VGA to DVI cable.

I hook the two up, no picture.

I restart the machine (some say that you have to boot with the VGA plugged in), no picture.

I hit Fn+F1(brings up a toggle between: Laptop only, Duplicate Displays, Extend Displays, and Projector only) I chose Duplicate Displays. The laptop screen goes to a 4:3 display, but still no TV display. I also go into my graphics card properties to the place it will let you choose option for the displays, and the only one listed is the Laptop.

Its like the laptop doesn't see that the VGA cord is plugged into anything, or the VGA output is not working

Please help me figure this out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a VGA to DVI cable. There are DVI-A to VGA cables, and adapters, but a VGA output cannot work with a DVD-D input. Not gonna happen.

Why don't you just use an HDMI to DVI-D adapter and call it a day?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

I agree with dpunisher - a VGA to DVI cable cannot carry any signal to a DVI-D input as VGA is analog and DVI-D has no analog connection, that -D defines digital signal only.

An HDMI to DVI lead is the way to go, as I do for my laptop.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 xesvuli420

xesvuli420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

well with, HDMI-DVI...
the only good looking resolutions are 640x480, and 720x480. Although they both are larger than the screen can display.

All other displays flicker alot and are zoomed out on my tv, like imagine HUGE black bars all around the display. It looks awful!

Thats why I was trying other options.

Will VGA to component cables work?

I can take pictures of what Im talking about with the "zoomed" out look if you guys dont understand.

If only there was a way to change size and/or position of the TV display with the Intel chipset like I used to with ATI on my other laptop. With it you could download Catalyst Center, and it would let you adjust, and move the position and size of your external monitor

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

What is the native resolution of the TV screen?

Indeed, Intel are not renowned for offering flexible control options...

Generally where the image ends up too big for the screen, somewhere (computer or TV) needs an overscan option to be turned off. Although, TVs are unpredictable in how their scalers handle computer input, as they are after all a TV, not a monitor.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users