Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows XP on Laptop, old files are still there!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyHNWY

MikeyHNWY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any help I can get. I'm a semi smart computer guy with some knowledge of computers, but am absolutely stuck!

A few days ago I was infected with what seemed to be a virus giving me a blue screen. I decided after several days of searching and discussing that my best option was to reinstall windows XP on my laptop. I dug up my Windows disk, and installed Windows XP thinking this would clear up problems and help me start anew.

After I installed XP, my computer booted up into the new XP just fine. I was under the impression that all of my old files and settings and everything would be lost and I'd work from there. However, when I open up C:\ all of my old files are still there, and viewable. Programs in fact open up just the same without a problem.

I'm wondering if there is a way to bring back my computer now that I have XP up and running the same as it was before, with all the loaded programs and all ready to use in ALL PROGRAMS for instance. I also use wireless internet with the card built into my laptop, but now with the new windows XP install...nothing comes up except for the recycle bin. Nothing else is available on my startup. Sorry if this is a little confusing, but please any help would be immensly appreciated. THANK YOU!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MikeyHNWY

MikeyHNWY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

I actually can view my old ADMINISTRATOR folder in Documents and Settings, how do I make this my default user account again?

#3 lomax327

lomax327

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any help I can get. I'm a semi smart computer guy with some knowledge of computers, but am absolutely stuck!

A few days ago I was infected with what seemed to be a virus giving me a blue screen. I decided after several days of searching and discussing that my best option was to reinstall windows XP on my laptop. I dug up my Windows disk, and installed Windows XP thinking this would clear up problems and help me start anew.

After I installed XP, my computer booted up into the new XP just fine. I was under the impression that all of my old files and settings and everything would be lost and I'd work from there. However, when I open up C:\ all of my old files are still there, and viewable. Programs in fact open up just the same without a problem.

I'm wondering if there is a way to bring back my computer now that I have XP up and running the same as it was before, with all the loaded programs and all ready to use in ALL PROGRAMS for instance. I also use wireless internet with the card built into my laptop, but now with the new windows XP install...nothing comes up except for the recycle bin. Nothing else is available on my startup. Sorry if this is a little confusing, but please any help would be immensly appreciated. THANK YOU!

When you say that only the recycle bin shows on your startup... do you mean your desktop?

As for making the administrator account the default.... you may want to make sure that the system doesnt
blue screen when you attempt to log on as that account first. Try logging into that account in safe mode,
as it will be hidden on the normal log on screen.

If that works, you can go into the control panel, user accounts, create a new acount with a different name.

Then go into the control panel under system. Click on the advanced tab, then find the user profiles
section and click the settings button. You should see the different profiles listed, you can
then select the administrator profile, click copy to, then navigate to your new profile folder
under c:\documents and settings\. If you dont see the folder for the new profile, you may need
to log off the administrator account, log in as the new profile, then log back off and back into the
adminstrator account to copy the administrator stuff to the new account.

This will allow you to copy all the administrator stuff into a separate spot to work with (that wont be
hidden on the normal log on screen), while leaving you a backup of that stuff untouched in the
original admin account.

Also bear in mind, I am not sure if the administrator profile you are seeing is one that
was newly created with your reinstall, or the old one you are hoping it is.

Also... provided you are able to get back into the old admin account, or even if
not. Do a full malware and virus scan ASAP. If anything is detected, run it again
until it comes back clean.

Edited by lomax327, 20 December 2009 - 12:29 AM.

My old sig had lots of info, but it was too long.
My new sig is short, but doesnt say much.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

It sounds as if you did a repair of Windows instead of a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users