Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless card and verizon modem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RadBrad503

RadBrad503

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

For some reason, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this concept. I need to know if I have it correct or not:

If a laptop had no wireless capability, does the verizon modem connect to the internet AND connect the laptop to that? Or is a separate "wireless" card necessary?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

not sure what modem you have, but if it has wireless built in then it probably has places in back to plug in via ethernet connections. so you can hard wire your laptop in there.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

If you are talking about the wireless modems, think of it as a cellular dial up modem. You use the cell companies cell service to connect you to the net. Once a connection is made, its like a broadband connection at home its just there.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 RadBrad503

RadBrad503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

So after the wireless modem is powered up by the usb port in the laptop, I would still need a wireless network card to access the modem?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

You are talking something like this right?

Then no, it plugs in and through the software that comes with it it makes a connection to the cellular network and then to the net. And you are connected via the USB.

Now if you are talking about this item although you can connect it via USB and use it as a modem just like I linked above, this has the capability to connect up to 5 devices(I think maybe 4) to it via wireless and it acts like a cell modem/wireless router. You would need a wireless card to connect to it.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 RadBrad503

RadBrad503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:37 AM

Both your links took me to an "enter zip code" page, but this is the item I'm talking about. It connects "anywhere", but is it "all in one"? To me, it is essentially a modem that grabs it's power from the laptop (or computer) and brings in a signal. Does the laptop or computer need to have a wireless card to then connect to it? Or does plugging it into the computer take care of all of that? I would expect it to take care of everything so that you wouldn't need a second card.

Sorry for being so dense, but the stuff I've read about it doesn't say straight up one way or the other.

Posted Image

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

No wireless card is needed. It is all in one.

#8 RadBrad503

RadBrad503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thank you very much!

#9 RadBrad503

RadBrad503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

By the way, I love that avatar you're using. It's my wife and I's favorite movie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users