Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre startup behavior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hadin

hadin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

I made the switch to Windows 7 64 bit about 3 weeks ago. I decided not to uninstall Windows XP due to some known issues for W7 such as Itunes and adobe reader. Both OS's are installed on different partitions like they should be. While I'm not sure this is the most appropriate section of the forum, it is the most recent change I've made to the system so it seemed like a good place to start.

When I turn on my computer, my monitor will initially show the small display in the upper left-hand corner showing it is on a digital connection. afterwards it does the POST and all that jazz. Since I am running dual OS's it will then go to the OS selection menu. What started happening 5 days ago is when I turn on the computer, starting with the initial icon in the left-hand corner, each screen will only display for a few milliseconds before disappearing. The screen will still go to the OS selection screen, but only flicker that brief few milliseconds then go dark. My computer defaults to Windows 7, however if this problem is happening it will continually show the Windows 7 start-up screen for a few milliseconds before going blank for about 5 seconds. It will never finish the loading procedure.

The first day it happened I had to turn off the computer once then turn it back on and it started up normally. The second day took several attempts. It has gotten progressively worse until today when I spent about 15 minutes just trying to get it to boot up. (needless to say I'm hoping for some solutions today if possible!)

Additionally, there has been one instance where I went out and left my computer on, and when I came back it had put the monitor into power save mode. It showed my desktop for a couple milliseconds then started functioning like it does during the faulty boot-up.

System Specs:

ATI K9A2 Platinum
AMD x2 6400
ATI HD4890
2 gigs PC1066
Razer Barracuda sound card
Logitech G5
Razer Lycosa

As far as the monitor goes, I am currently using a samsung 206BW that is approximately 3 years old. It has been used heavily during that entire period of time. If the start-up problem does not occur my computer functions completely normally. (aside from the power-save mode incident, which I have since disabled)

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:25 AM

It is possible your computer was infected with a virus.

Boot options got changed and display of boot menu was reduced to a couple seconds or less.

is the only problem that the boot menu doesn't display for very long?

if you press a key, esc or whatever the key is it needs, at the begin of the boot menu load does it stay on screen and allow you to choose another operating system?

If it does and that is the only problem, go into the boot menu options and set teh display time higher.

My question though is WHY did the settings get changed, if you did not do it, what did?

I would do a full system scan with your anti-virus software especially to check the boot sector and see if you don't have a virus of some kind just to be safe.

my 2 cents.

#3 shively

shively

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

You have tried another monitor havent you? Had a smiliar problem and turned out monitro was dying

#4 hadin

hadin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

It is possible your computer was infected with a virus.

Boot options got changed and display of boot menu was reduced to a couple seconds or less.

is the only problem that the boot menu doesn't display for very long?

if you press a key, esc or whatever the key is it needs, at the begin of the boot menu load does it stay on screen and allow you to choose another operating system?

If it does and that is the only problem, go into the boot menu options and set teh display time higher.

My question though is WHY did the settings get changed, if you did not do it, what did?

I would do a full system scan with your anti-virus software especially to check the boot sector and see if you don't have a virus of some kind just to be safe.

my 2 cents.

Nothing displays for very long. This includes the very first thing the monitor displays right as it powers on, which is the small icon displaying that the monitor is connected digitally. This is before it actually starts displaying anything related to booting up. It can't hurt running a virus scan so I'll still give it a shot though. Thanks for taking the time to answer :huh:

Also, Shrively, I have not yet tried another monitor, as the only other monitor I own is an old CRT which my video card doesn't support. Spending Xmas eve at my mom's so I'll be testing hers out then.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

I say it's the monitor, but scanning with updated anti-virus is always a good idea anyway.

Also, set the timeout to something higher....like 10 seconds or something.

Go to the Start Menu > right click My Computer > click Properties > click Advanced system settings on the left > Startup and Recovery > Settings > increase "Time to display list of operating systems: " to at least 10 seconds.

Let us know what happens.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 hadin

hadin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

I was able to scrounge up a converter and after testing my old CRT monitor about a half a dozen times with not a single occurance of these problems have been able to determine that it is the monitor. I am truly devastated that I will have to finally upgrade to a 24" monitor. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users