Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell vostro 1000 overheating

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hello all at bleeping computer,

I have a Dell vostro 1000 that keeps over heating under moderate cpu load and i have taken it apart and cleaned it and put it all back together and it still is over heating and shutting down. :thumbsup: and yes the fan does work fine.

It has a AMD 64 Athlon X2 with 896 mb of ram

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

i assume it worked fine before and you know it is a heat issue, how ?

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

oh sorry i meant to say i have narrowed it down to that it. it just shut down when it hits 200 F and it reaches this temp. very quickly so i don't know could it be something different?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

200 is hot. you say the fan is working. do you mean the power supply, which usually exhausts out the back. there is also the cpu fan, chipset fan(possibly), video card fan, possibly case fans. some power supplies have two fans. as an aside have you recently moved the machine for the winter to get closer to the wood fire. don't laugh, i have seen that one :thumbsup:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

its a laptop so it only has one fan and yes the fan works also i just took it apart to clean it because it was plug so i thought that was why it was overheating but it is still overheating i did not remove the heat sink during cleaning i only blew it out i get air flow but i noticed it is not as hot as it should be.

sigcomp.png 

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

so its a laptop, which make? google the model with overheating and see what you find. cleaning was a good idea. wouldn't hurt to remove heatsink and re-install using new thermal paste(important) this transfers heat from the cpu to the heatsink. have to leave for a while, will check back later. sorry, christmas party.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

all they say on google is to clean it and i checked the thermal gel and it looks ok but i don't have any at the moment and will have to get some.

sigcomp.png 

#8 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

are you resting it on anything that would restrict air flow ie. pillows or cushions? my daughter burned one out that way

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

no i don't have it resting on anything

sigcomp.png 

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

so i just took it apart again and put it back together to check the thermal paste and it can now do at least a malaware scan and some other things so i did find a lot of malaware (mind you this is not my laptop and I'm just fixing it for a friend) and i was able to clear all of that it still runs hot only it now takes a lot more to make it shut down. but it still does shut down

sigcomp.png 

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

hey, i looked at some pictures and i think the fan exhausts out the back, there is a vent on the same side as the cd drive, did you clean that also? and are there any other holes on the bottom? to allow air in

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

i took the whole thing apart and blew out everything and got rid of all of the dust and every vent is clear

sigcomp.png 

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

fill beer mug with ice, add 4 ozs rum, fill with pepsi, set laptop on drink, drill hole through laptop, insert straw.

the only other thing i can think to try, is re seat the cpu, maybe bad connection causing excessive heat

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

haha! :thumbsup: i have tried it thanks a lot for the help ill try some other things and search around google for some answers maybe.

happy holidays! :flowers:

sigcomp.png 

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

have a good one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users