Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Fan Headers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hello, I'm building off a ASUS Crosshair III. In the owners document, it states that the fan connectors support cooling fans of ;
350 mA-2000 mA ( 24 W max. ) or a total of 1 A-7A (84 W max.) at 12V.

I have 8 mobo fan headers(all PWM) (including PSU & CPU fan header ). The Mobo is a 24 pin main and 8 pin ATX.

Given the stated support specs, I added all current fan Amps together, and I'm still unsure if the Mobo is able to carry the load.

Here is a list of installed fans;
Amp. input W. (all fans 12V)
Front 120mm - .30 1.8 PWM (4pin)
Back 120 " - .35 4.2 (3pin) will run 100% for now. Have 2spd controller.
side 80 " - .15 1.8 PWM
side 80 " - .15 1.8
side 80 " - .25 ? (not found)
CPU hs 92 " - .25 ? ( " )

I'm a new builder, and don't have alot of knowledge of computations related to this total draw.
My simple math results, related to Amps = 1.36 approx. This seems to fall below 7 A max. IDK. AMPs(1.36)X Volts(12.)= 16.32 Watts ? is this correct?
I found input W for only 4 fans so I'm unsure of total.

Will this fan load be within spec, for all fans to be connected on board?
Could you link me to a good tech artical or tutorial related to the subject?

Thanks, Don

Edited by PCwarrior, 19 December 2009 - 03:17 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

I can't give specifics, just general guidlines I use. < Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one so..........................

The only time you connect a fan to a motherboard header is if you need to control the fan via software (CPU fan etc or need some sort of software fan monitoring). Regular case fans that are either run full blast, or on a fan controller, should be hooked up to a spare molex.

The reason I go this route is because I got burned (well the motherboard got burned) many years ago running a fan that melted a fan header. I also ran into situations where some fans are electrically "noisy" and feed back to the power/ground planes on the mobo. I had one system cause me nightmares with stability problems, and after going through the troubleshooting, one of the case fans was responsible for causing the problem. Do this for a living, and you eventually get around to the oddball stuff.

That being said, your motherboard can likely supply sufficient power for all those fans without a problem. Your math seems right on.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Comparing the wire ga. size to the solder trace on a motherboard, I'll pick wire any day

Edited by garmanma, 19 December 2009 - 09:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I did alot of work getting things laid out in the planning stages, and all seams to have payed off for now . I'll look into a fan controller soon. To switch some fans off the board. All is real sweet now though. All fans controlled and just the smoothest sounding thing.
For sure thanks, for the incite and mentoring.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

should work, if its to much wattage you can always hook some of the fans up to the molex connectors on the PSU to even the load out, the 12v rails normally have plenty of ummpf.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users