Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone recommend a comprehensive hardware diagnostic?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ehbowen

ehbowen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

I have been having trouble with my home-brewed Vista system for over a month now. It started shortly after I inadvertently visited what I suspect may be a malicious web site, and I initially thought the problems were related. But I have replaced the hard drive (twice), wiped the old drives with dban, run a MemTest86+ scan for over 24 hours with no errors, and I still cannot restore (from a Ghost 14.0 backup) or reload Windows Vista (from the original installation CD) without encountering an "uncorrectable hardware error" BSOD. How many places can malware hide?

I am on the verge of scrapping this system and purchasing a new motherboard, CPU and OS. But before I do I would like to find out for certain where the problem is. MemTest and dban run just fine; it's only Windows which continually crashes. Can anyone recommend a comprehensive hardware diagnostic which does not need to be run from Windows? Failing that, can anyone tell me if there will be any issues restoring my data from the Ghost backup (which came from a Vista 32 bit system) to an x64 OS?

Edited by ehbowen, 19 December 2009 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Malware can only hide on storage devices. There is no place for it to be physically stored in the Motherboard, CPU. However I would try swapping the memory first. You can use a program called PCwizard from CPUID.com. However it runs in windows. The reason I said try swaping the memory first is even though it passed memtest there could be a problem somewhere. If you have 2x512 mb sims try removing one and see if windows will install. If not then swap them and try again.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

Ditto on above. Memory causes the most hardware install errors by far. Even when the memory passes every test you throw at it, pull a stick/swap slots and try your installs again.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users