Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD writer problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lazlopitt

lazlopitt

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hello all. I have an LG DVD player/burner. Lately whenever I try and burn to disc it's locking up my computer and the disc is half-written and therefore no good. Then when I manually reboot I have to remove the disc for the computer to boot up. What could the problem be? Are there drivers to update? Any thoughts? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

Burn at a slower speed.

What program are you using to burn?

What error messages do you get when the burn aborts?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Changing your boot option from optical drive to hard drive as a first choice in the BIOS...would take care of any boot check of an optical drive. What you describe can only happen (IMO) if the system is set to boot from the optical drive first, rather than the hard drive.

Louis

#3 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

I've used both Nero 7 and windows media player. They both lock up. There is no error message, the computer just locks up, mouse cursor won't move, non-responsive, etc. I will check event viewer and let you know. Thanks for responding.

#4 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

I should add that I'm only burning music cds. No video.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

Look for errors noting Nero.

System manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on C: and how large is C:?

Louis

#6 lazlopitt

lazlopitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hey Louis, The event viewer showed 2 application hangs near the time my computer locked up. Got me to thinking, along with you asking about memory and hard drive size. I thought no way it would be that simple. But I went ahead and did some house cleaning. I'm embarrased to say I was able to clean almost a gig off my hard drive and I have a small hard drive. Anyway the problem is fixed and the computer as a whole is quicker. Never underestimate the power of simple cleaning and maintenence!! LOL Thanks for your help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

LOL, well done. Good thinking on your part...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users