Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Internet Gateway on XP Home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pipfx

pipfx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

I had a bug named Malware Defense, it has removed my Internet Gateway icon, when i go to Network connections, I cannot connect to the internet otherwise. I need it to connect to the internet so i can install Malware Bytes to remove the malicous software.

Can anyone help me retrieve Internet Gateway?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Ok , so let me understand you here , you have a wireless network and you cant connect to your router?
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#3 pipfx

pipfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

No, i have a wired broadband connection.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

A router...is a "residential/Internet gateway" when employed.

If you cannot access your router...then I would try resetting/recycling it or the modem connected to it...before doing anything else.

I would reset the modem...by simply pulling the power plug for a few seconds..then plugging it back in.

Louis

#5 pipfx

pipfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for all your replies.

Ok this is not a print screen from my troubled PC. What I cannot see is the Internet Connection Icon, under the Internet Gateway heading. My PC is connected to my router and recognises it and is enabled. Still cannot connect to the internet.

I do not have an Internet Gateway heading anymore, or the internet Connection Icon. I would like to know if i can get it back.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

The Residential Gateway may not necessarily...be reflected under Network Connections, it's not important if it isn't.

I have two systems connected to the same router. One system reflects the Residential Gateway and the NIC, while the other system only reflects the NIC. Both work.

What's important is whether the system can actually connect to the Internet and, in my case, each other. As lsong as that happens as it should, the router and the modem and the systems are working properly.

I suggest that you just delete your existing connection...reboot...and set it up anew, using the XP Network Connection Wizard (and specifying the option that you connect thru a residential gateway).

Louis

#7 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ok what we will do is this

Start- Run-> type cmd press enter

Type ipconfig

and tell me if there is an "IP Address" eg . 192.168.2.101
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#8 pipfx

pipfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Cheers!, I got my Internet working, Long story, its in my other topic. Still don't have the Internet connection Icon, but I have what is important - the connection.

This Malware Defence bug is new and only starting to surface on the internet, so hopefully soon some one finds the solution.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

For all readers...OP had a rootkit problem..

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users