Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

When Buying A New Computer,more Memory Or Speed?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fleegle_*

Guest_Fleegle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:19 PM

A friend referred me to this site. Hopeefully you can answer a question for me. I am looking to purchase a new computer, but I am not sure which if I should put more money into memory or more money into the speed of the processor.

Do you have any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

Great question. Since your question encompasses an important basic concept I have written up a tutorial to answer it.

You can find your answer here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=30

Hope its not too long winded :thumbsup:

#3 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

what type of computer and what's already in it?

#4 sma4059

sma4059

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:50 AM

You should start out with the processor that you want and that the motherboard will support of course, and at least 512 memory. In the future you can add more memory easier then you can add a faster processor.

Grinler that is a nice tutorial. Good Job! :thumbsup:

sma4059

#5 newwavecomputers

newwavecomputers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:15 PM

Why waste money on new when you will be outdated again in a year? Go to my site, use the free program to analyze your cpu and I can quote you on upgrading probably saving you hundreds of dollars. No BS.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:55 PM

save yourself hundreds of dollars and build one yourslef. It's not hard and if you need help I am sure alot of people here are willing to help inclucding me.

I spent 3,200 on my pc and built it myself, alienware or dell would have charged me over 7,000 for the same pc and kept me out of the experience!

#7 Haus

Haus

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:33 PM

It depends on what you plan to use it for.

Grinler has a nice article that pretty much says it all.

I would build my own and install the operating system myself.
Therefore not having to put up with all the garbage that comes with the factory installed OEM versions.

JMO

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

I would build my own and install the operating system myself.

good answer.

then I'd want to chat about it now that I've recently discovered IRC. I have yet to accomplish that with a measure of success.

:thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:59 PM

Carefull with those IRC's phawgg full of viruses waiting to break out.
And I would agree I would much rather install my own os that way if somthing screw's up I only have myself to blame :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:56 AM

A decision may very well depend on the uses to which you will put your computer; but do not consider any computer that does not have at least 512mb memory. For most general applications, everything else being equal, the latest computers have acceptable CPU speeds, and the best "bang for the buck" would be increased RAM.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

Go for a good cpu. Like no less than 1.6. They make a lot bigger than 1.6 but thats a good place to start. Also like others have said build your own. Its so much cheaper. Get parts on ebay.com. A little research on google can show you what it takes to build your own pc. You can always get more ram later. If you buy it from dell or compaq its way tooooo much. Look on ebay for some cheap ram if you ever need it. It all depends on what you will do with your pc. If you do gaming then i would suggest both ram and cpu almong with a good video card. Hope this helps!

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

The Best place to get parts for cheap and rock solid customer service is NewEgg.com

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:48 PM

I agree ... I just got the following from newegg for abour 138 bucks including shipping.

DVD Player Liteon 166
NEC ND-2500A DVD burner
50 Blank DVD/R+

At least i think thats a good deal....

#14 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

yes great deal. I like NEC they make great stuff. As does Lite On. I also buy my dvd/-r's from newegg. Unless Office Depot has a good mail in rebat. I buy them buy them in bulk I gotta keep a backup of my movies :thumbsup:

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:44 AM

Try this site. Tigerdirect.com. Cheap pc parts andything to do with a pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users