Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help reinstalling drivers

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

I have been having some computer problems, services.exe running at 100%. Could not pin point to exact problems so I thougt I would install windows into another folder and then delete the old one , found the instruction on another forum. Well I finally managed to do that but now I am stuck reinstalling my drivers. Could someone please help me?

I have the cd that dell sent when I first bought the laptop. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

You can go HERE and enter the required info for your particular make and model of your machine. That will take you to the page with the required drivers.

Not sure what disk Dell includes. If it is labeled as Drivers and Utilities then you should be able to pop it in your optical drive and follow the instructions that come up on screen.

#3 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

thanks I tried that page but the don't have all of them listed.
This is the list I need:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...=en&s=dhs#1

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

:thumbsup:

Can you clarify what I have made Bold in your first Post?

I have been having some computer problems, services.exe running at 100%. Could not pin point to exact problems so I thougt I would install windows into another folder and then delete the old one , found the instruction on another forum. Well I finally managed to do that but now I am stuck reinstalling my drivers. Could someone please help me?

Can I ask? Do you mean that you have two copies of Windows on the same Hard Drive, namely C: Drive? That would cause Heaps of conflicts all over the place.

:flowers:

#5 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

yes. at the time but I had planned on deleting the first copy . Don't know if this is allowed but my background can be found here:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=242524

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

thanks I tried that page but the don't have all of them listed.
This is the list I need:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...=en&s=dhs#1

The page you linked only gives instructions on how to install the drivers.

Generally if a driver is not listed for a particular model PC then it means that Windows already includes that driver and there should be no need to install it as it installs when Windows is installed.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

yes. at the time but I had planned on deleting the first copy . Don't know if this is allowed but my background can be found here:

Honestly? From what I can see? It appears that you may have also installed Windows just over the top of the old faulty one, but in a different File, or? Please tell me.

We want to Help, but you also have to Help us to understand? I am in Australia, a long way away to make a house call to see it first hand, same as many other people are.

#8 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Yes, that is what I did.
Ok ,I thought I was clear but let me try again. There are several links included that is the only was I can explain
I was getting alot of different BSOD screens with different error messages and computer was running very slow in regular mode and eventually I lost my internet connection.S o after researching the errors , I tested my Ram and hard drive and everything passed.

Checked event id and this is where this thread starts:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=242524

So then I thought I would reinstall windows to see if it would correct my problems and I followed directions on this page
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Inst...ms-t142645.html

This is where I am stuck at. I guess I should have came here first for help. If I have to redo everything I don't mind because I don't mind the help.

Hope this helps!

Edited by melindascrochetbits, 19 December 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Just bear with me, I am a slow reader and it is 2.39am here.

Let's get the Facts sorted out first. That way, if I have to go, others have good Information to work on with you.

I honestly think you will need to do a clean install, so, in the meantime, just in case you have Data you need off your Machine, please save it else where. You could burn it to DVD Disks for the time being, if it is a laptop, you could plug it into a Desktop and download data onto the Desktop's Hard Drive in a Folder called "BackUp" for use later.

Just reminding you, a clean install involves Formatting the Disk that removes ALL Data on it.

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 December 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#10 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

I was hoping you would say that! I don't think I have anything I need to keep on here. Just programs that I can always reinstall. Thanks so much for your help.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

Not a worry, Mate.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

From your Links, I will try to compile a breakdown on your System, when I finish can you check it out and change any thing I either missed of made a mistake on?

That should make it a lot easier all round for everyone.

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 December 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#13 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Thanks so much ! Will this help any:

System Type: Inspiron 2200
Ship Date: 12/5/2005
Dell IBU: Americas

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 RD997 Liquid Crystal Display, 15X Video Elec. Stds. Assoc. Samsung
1 W6345 Bezel, Plastic, Liquid Crystal Display, 15, Notebook, TONGA/TYLER...
1 W6347 Assembly, Cable, Coaxial, Liquid Crystal Display, 15, TONGA/TYLER...
1 D8883 Keyboard, 87, United States English, Single-Pointing, TONGA/TYLER...
1 N5825 Assembly, Adapter, Alternating Current, 60W, 19V, 1K, World Wide
1 J2551 Cord, Power, 110 Volt, 3F, ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 3W P65, UNITED STATES...
1 C8833 Bracket, Metal, Hard Drive Notebook, TONGA/TYLER...
1 XC908 Processor, 80536, CELERON M DOTHAN..., 360, 1.4G PGA, C0
1 W6518 Hinge, Cover, Plastic, I2200
1 U6962 ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., BOTTOM..., CONEXANT SYSTEMS INC...., TONGA/TYLER...
1 K9340 Battery, Primary, 15V, 8C Lithium, Panasonic, INSPIRON 1000...
1 CC753 Assembly, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO..., 24X Philips, Sulivan/Tobago
1 W8307 Hard Drive, 40GB, 9.5, 5.4K, Lead Free, Fujitsu, ZEUS 60 HDD...
1 CD940 Kit, Software, Wordperfect, 12 PLUS-TRIAL
1 T9016 Card, Wireless, Mini Pci Card 1370, Broadcom Corporation
4 2864D Screw, M3X3, K SCREW HEAD..., MICROSOFT..., BLACK OXIDE...
1 G9695 Shield, Metal, Central ProcessorUnit, Notebook, TONGA/TYLER...
6 R6864 Bumper, Liquid Crystal Display Rubber, TONGA/TYLER...
1 U6611 Assembly, Cover, Back, Liquid Crystal Display, 15, Notebook TGTR
1 X9535 TECHNICAL SHEET..., REMOVE..., COMPACT DISKETTE..., MEDIA REDUCTION INITIATIVE..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 X4474 Guide, Product, Information Portable, AMF/BCC
1 C8601 PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., 1200/2200, DAO/EMEA
0 01322 INFORMATION..., FLYER, DELL HOME SYSTEMS..., INSPIRON

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Computer appears to be:

Windows XP home edition,Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 256MB RAM , not sure if Laptop or Desktop, (please confirm, melindascrochetbits).

Comment: 256M of RAM is very low for Win XP Home.

Not a lot to go on?

melindascrochetbits? Is it a Brand Name? If so can you tell us Make amd Model of it? If it is a Custom Built, please give us as many details as you can.

Can you actually get it to run in Safe Mode? if so you maybe able to run Belarc, a small Free program that will give us a BluePrint of your Machine. It is here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
You can download it onto a thumbdrive and run it from there, then copy and paste the Log it generates back on here.
WARNING It does give Personal Details, so after Pasting, please go through it and just xxxxxx out any personal Details, we will know and understand that.

Edited by Abacus 7, 19 December 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#15 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

it is a laptop Dell Inspiron 2200 purchased from Dell a couple of years ok. Don't have any mobey to buy any ram so can I still so this?I can get into safe mode but the laptop has no internet connection at the present time.

Yes you are correct.

Edited by melindascrochetbits, 19 December 2009 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users