Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 .dll problems...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlet Gryphon

Scarlet Gryphon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

Hello all; New here, but found several helpful topics (admittedly on different subjects) when Googling my problems i have, and I'm hoping I can get some help figuring out what my problem is...

I run Windows 7 Home Premium. Last night (I can't determine what the cause of these problems were) I began noticing glitchy behavior. I don't get sound from some applications (BYOND, Firefox/IE, etc) -- certain programs won't load if I'm trying to use them online (BYOND, again) -- Windows Media Player won't properly load -- And finally, the kicker that gave me a clue of what was wrong was an error I got loading Microsoft Word 2003 --

c:\Windows\System32\MSACM32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Trying installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

As a note, Word _does_ load after this, but it seems to load without Aero active in its interface.

I've gotten a similar error at a different time (I can't remember what I was running) with the ntmarta.dll as well.

I've tried Virus Scanning, ran Malware Bytes, nada. After a tip I found online, I tried the sfc /scannow command on the Command Line, and got the result that's something to the effect of "I can tell there's something wrong, but I can't fix it." It left me a log file I can place if necessary.

I can't figure out what step next to take in trying to fix this problem other than reinstalling Windows itself, which I'd really rather avoid doing. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

MSACM32.dll
msacm32.dll is a module containing functions for audio compression for 32-bit applications.

Try SFC.exe one more time following this guide
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
I'm assuming you do not have a XP disk so look closely at the second post where the i386 folder is discussed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Scarlet Gryphon

Scarlet Gryphon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

I need the XP disk even though I'm running 7?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

You would substitute Windows 7 for XP in the tutorial

I'm still learning 7. It appears you do not have the option

Edited by garmanma, 19 December 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Scarlet Gryphon

Scarlet Gryphon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:06 AM

Lovely.

I'm gonna run a system restore back about a week, and see what happens.

#6 Scarlet Gryphon

Scarlet Gryphon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:58 AM

Well, my oldest System Restore still got the problem. The ntmarta.dll error appears to be gone, but I still get the MSACM32 one -- funny, it gives me an error message on Word 2003, but not Word 2007. Really, the most annoying part is my inability to play BYOND or hear sound on my web browsers.

Any new ideas, or buckle down and reinstall the OS?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

I would try reinstalling the audio and video drivers first
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Scarlet Gryphon

Scarlet Gryphon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

I would try reinstalling the audio and video drivers first

Reinstalled my video drivers, and the sound drivers for my onboard _and_ my soundblaster, not that it works anyway.

Could that be a related problem? I have a Soundblaster X-fi extreme music, and it funtioned perfectly under windows XP -- however, 7 although it recognizes the sound card, can't detect its ports on the back of the computer; only the ports for the onboard sound card.

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

I just installed W-7/64bit on a new system. I as well have used the 2003 version on XP for many years. I went to find W-7 compatibility list at MS and found that 2003(word) is not supported under W-7/64bit. The newest Word (2007 or 9) is though. Maybe under XP virtualization ( if CPU supported), Word 2003 might run with better manners.
My thought is that you may be running into two separate issues at once, in you orig. post.

Edited by PCwarrior, 23 December 2009 - 08:54 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS,MSI R9 390 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded),  Wow shes old.. :blush:     :)

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

You likely need to disable the onboard soound in the bios. You will need to find the manual for your motherboard, and see if that option is available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users