Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password required to attach network drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

I have a brandnew (2 days up) HP Pavilion running Windows 7 Professional. I also have a home network with a LaCie d2 Network 1TB drive which we use for backup. We got this drive just recently in exchange for a dead LaCie BigDisk, and it works a little differently. The original drive required a userid and password to access a share; this drive defaults to "public read/write" on new shares, so that's how I set them up. I used the shares with the backup of my old computer to move my data to the new computer; worked like a champ.

Today my husband (who also got a new Win7 computer) asked me to create new shares on the LaCie drive, so he could back up the new computer while keeping the old backup. He also complained about the public Read/Write, so I created the new shares with that unchecked.

I haven't been able to connect to anything on the LaCie drive since then, even though I reenabled "public read/write" on all shares. I can't connect to the shares I used yesterday to transfer my files. I can't even bring the drive up in the Network window, although I can see it. Any click on it brings up a Windows security window asking me for a userid and password on the "MyComputer" domain. We don't HAVE a domain, we use a workgroup. It seems to be expecting a login to a userid on my desktop. My login on the LaCie drive is different from my Win7 user account and uses a different password; the Windows security window doesn't recognize it.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? I have the feeling that something has gotten cached somehow but I don't know how to clear it. I am not a Windows security expert. Rebooting, and even shutting down, doesn't help. I've opened a ticket with LaCie, but I don't know how much experience with Win7 they have; also I won't hear from them until Monday. (I may not hear from anyone hear before Monday either, I recognize.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hi,
So just to make this clear, is this drive a NAS storage device, or is it an external drive. I can see the special configuration needed in order to connect a NAS device, but an external shouldn't have any configuration needed. in fact, you should be able to simply share the folders through the windows 7 operating system itself. Hope this helps. And another thing, try using a home group.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users