Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will we grow babies outside their mothers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:00 PM

I was reading my latest Popular Science and I found something a little creepy and futuristic and controversial that I think I would have to share.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/futurebody/ar...1088856,00.html

The ability to grow babies outside of their mothers? Personally I think it is just wrong and unnatural to do this, however the only good thing I could see out of this would be:
If you and your wife couldn't have a baby, instead of getting a saragate mother and having to go through that difficulty, why not use this? <== thats the only time I think would be appropriate for this.

But what do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snickets

Snickets

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hello yanowhiz,

I believe it is Science being science and if there is a break through to help children from going through the difficulties of still birth and strangulation by the embilical cord on passage out then it will be a great break through.

Scientists could also monitor the baby closer when not being carried inside the mother's womb for disease and other such defects that the child may have in order to either correct these issues or spare the child a life of pain that is unnecessarily going to become of him/her.

It is a highly touchy subject these kinds of things, but when it comes down to it science is what makes our world more knowledgeable and also more dangerous. It can be a harsh reality when people start realising god doesn't make the choices anymore and humans are here to make there own destiny.

Going back to the old days church has instilled in the mind of child bearers that anything other than this strict code may be followed to bring a child to this sacred world. That in my opinion is hog wash and people need to realise that if we don't take a common ground and work together things are going to be as always backward and twisted to the point of no return.

Lates,

Snickets

:thumbsup:

#3 catweazle

catweazle

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

Must the pursuit of knowledge be infinite? Is God redundant when scientists take over his work?This and other questions will be answered in next weeks edition of soap..........
Seriously though, if they do grow babies outside of the mothers, will the same bond exist between them as if the mother had carried the child for the duration? What are/could be the Psychological effects (if any) between mother and child? As usual, too many questions and not enough answers.

#4 Snickets

Snickets

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

Hello again all,

It is a well known fact that there is only the bond of what the mother makes between her and the child. So if the mother makes the effort to read to this child and do normal activities around this child the bond would be the same. The only current none effect the child would have would be that it wouldn't get rocked to sleep with the mother's motion.

Which is a documented and well known fact.

God's work? LOL If you think that there are things that this planet has not evolved through take a look at a chimp or an ape sometime. Then you might be a little more conscious toward some facts instead of something written by people that you didn't even know.

You have the right to believe what you want and that is a great thing, but take a look at the fact that people in time have always believed what is written. Do you believe all news stories? Do you take face value on everything your friends tell you? There is some good questions for you to answer. There is a time in place when people need to start remembering what happens to each and every living organism that is brought into this world it lives to die.

Lates,

Snickets

#5 catweazle

catweazle

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

Hello again all,

It is a well known fact that there is only the bond of what the mother makes between her and the child. So if the mother makes the effort to read to this child and do normal activities around this child the bond would be the same. The only current none effect the child would have would be that it wouldn't get rocked to sleep with the mother's motion.

Which is a documented and well known fact.

God's work? LOL If you think that there are things that this planet has not evolved through take a look at a chimp or an ape sometime. Then you might be a little more conscious toward some facts instead of something written by people that you didn't even know.

You have the right to believe what you want and that is a great thing, but take a look at the fact that people in time have always believed what is written. Do you believe all news stories? Do you take face value on everything your friends tell you? There is some good questions for you to answer. There is a time in place when people need to start remembering what happens to each and every living organism that is brought into this world it lives to die.

Lates,

Snickets

Hi Snickets,

If it's a well known and documented fact, I guess they must have been growing babies outside of the womb for a long time to have been able to make such an absolute statement. Must have missed them.
Of course the onus is on the mother to make the effort of bonding, but people and their characters vary immensely, could some mothers feel detached from their offspring because they didn't become pregnant and carry the child for the duration? In the face of this could motherhood (in some cases) be reduced to the same level as buying a new car or renewing a washing machine if the current "model" didn't satisfy or measure up?

"God's work"... This was a tongue in cheek throwaway question (I thought the reference to SOAP might be a giveaway but perhaps even that's a bit dated) Actually Iím a pagan, I do believe there is a controlling force in this world, whether you call it God, mother nature or whatever, I still believe there are some things that we should not interfere with.

"We're born, bleep happens, we die"? What a depressing thought! I can't accept this, there're too many instances of "prior life" memories and out of body experiences, by so many different peoples, I can't help thinking that we're looking too deeply into the microscope and missing the simpler bigger picture, whatever that may be, surely we can't just be here to perpetuate the species, I mean we've done that rather successfully haven't we? The only chance of us dieing out is by our own hand. Is there something more? or are we just an out of control plague on this planet?
I'm rambling now and more confused than ever, off down the shops for a couple of beers to give this subject a more intellectual edge. :flowers:

Have a nice day, be peaceful, respectful and above all...?....?...?..Sugar, i always forget that last bit. :trumpet:

Edited by catweazle, 18 August 2005 - 12:56 PM.

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

Is nothing sacred anymore? Not even Motherhood? Why do scientists have a desire to take all of the mystery out of life?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users