Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Windows 7 Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gce

gce

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

So I'm trying to install W7 on my machine, and everything is fine at first until it's time to check the box where I accept the license terms.

Though I can move the cursor around, I cannot check the box! Nothing happens when I click on it. I'm going out of my mind :huh: ... any ideas?

Vitals:

Mobo: Asus P5QL-E
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500
Ram: 4GB

2 1TB hard drives in RAID 1.

Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse

eta: it's the 64-bit version of W7 if that makes a difference

Edited by gce, 18 December 2009 - 09:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

Scroll down to the bottom of hte license terms and see if the box becomes enabled. I'm not sure if Microsoft employs this technique or not, and it has been a while since I installed Windows 7, but it is at least worth a check.

#3 gce

gce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

Scroll down to the bottom of hte license terms and see if the box becomes enabled. I'm not sure if Microsoft employs this technique or not, and it has been a while since I installed Windows 7, but it is at least worth a check.

I can't grab the scroll bar either, nor will it scroll if I try to click on the arrow.

#4 gce

gce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

D'oh! I can navigate through the page with the tab button if I don't click the mouse first. I can then check the box with the space bar.

But now I have a problem on the next page. Windows sees my RAID 1 array as a single hard drive, but says it can't install on it. "show details" says my hardware may not support booting to this disk, loading the drivers from Intel doesn't help even though Windows finds and installs the driver. I have my BIOS set to RAID in disk configuration, and the array is set as my first disk. In fact, I disconnected my 250 GB IDE backup disk completely for this install.

#5 gce

gce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think I may have solved the problem. I disconnected my usb scanner and printer, and Windows is now installing on my computer. Apparently usb devices can screw things up somehow.

eta: yep, W7 installed successfully. My RAID 1 array is reading correctly as a single drive. Installing updates now. Now I can spend the rest of the weekend installing software and cursing the Bears on Sunday.

Edited by gce, 19 December 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the update. I have heard once or twice that some USB devices can cause problems on installation; not really anything definitive though.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

I agree....Most every time I do an installation I disconnect everything but keyboard, mouse, monitor....I leave the printers, cameras, external hdd's and even modems unplugged during installation...Once the installation is complete just plug them back in and more times than not you are good to go
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users