Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Vista Install. Machine Boots, But Doesn't 'Restart.'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yaga

yaga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hello,

I've recently erased & reformated my brother's Notebook, & put a clean install of Vista on the machine (the disk which came w/the computer). I went to the mfg'er's website (Gateway) & updated all of it's driver's. Now when i update Vista & allow the machine to restart, it idles without loading any drivers. It simply stays there w/a black screen. Also, MSCONFIG refuses to save any of the changes i make to it.

The notebook is in great condition. Was wondering if anyone knew of something beyond a workaround? I would my brother to be using this w/Vista automatically updating itself (aka restarting without issue).

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I really do appreciate it greatly.

Specs of the machine in case it matters -

Gateway ML3108b Notebook

Processor:
AMD Sempron™ Processor 3400+ (1.8GHz, 256KB L2 cache, HyperTransport™ technology @ up to 1600MHz)

Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

Display:
14.1" widescreen Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT (1280 × 800)

Chipset:
NVIDIA® C51MV

Memory:
1Gig of Corsair 800MHz DDR2 (1 x 1Gig), upgraded from 512MB 667MHz DDR2 (1 × 512MB) .

Hard Drive:
60GB 4200rpm PATA hard drive

Optical Drive:
8x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW

Video:
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 6100 Up to 256MB Turbocache™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:29 AM

Hello,

I've recently erased & reformated my brother's Notebook, & put a clean install of Vista on the machine (the disk which came w/the computer). I went to the mfg'er's website (Gateway) & updated all of it's driver's. Now when i update Vista & allow the machine to restart, it idles without loading any drivers. It simply stays there w/a black screen. Also, MSCONFIG refuses to save any of the changes i make to it.

The notebook is in great condition. Was wondering if anyone knew of something beyond a workaround? I would my brother to be using this w/Vista automatically updating itself (aka restarting without issue).

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I really do appreciate it greatly.

Specs of the machine in case it matters -

Gateway ML3108b Notebook

Processor:
AMD Sempron™ Processor 3400+ (1.8GHz, 256KB L2 cache, HyperTransport™ technology @ up to 1600MHz)

Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

Display:
14.1" widescreen Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT (1280 × 800)

Chipset:
NVIDIA® C51MV

Memory:
1Gig of Corsair 800MHz DDR2 (1 x 1Gig), upgraded from 512MB 667MHz DDR2 (1 × 512MB) .

Hard Drive:
60GB 4200rpm PATA hard drive

Optical Drive:
8x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW

Video:
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 6100 Up to 256MB Turbocache™

it's Called a "Black Screen of Death", just like a "Blue Screen of Death" this is common for some Vista systems. It Might be required to update the bios to fix the problem. Have you tried downloading the bios updates from Gateway??

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

hello

Did you reset hdd to start 1st in boot order? (in bios)

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#4 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

@keny111111 - yes, the HDD is first in the boot order via the BIOS.

@GamerX - Right after installing Vista, I went to the gateway website, looked up this machine & updated all drivers. It did not include a BIOS update.

When MS attempts to reboot the machine after an update, the machine simply refuses to reboot.

In Device Manager, there are no flags.

Anyone know if this has anything to do w/the hardware abstraction layer?

Edited by yaga, 19 December 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#5 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

@keny111111 - yes, the HDD is first in the boot order via the BIOS.

@GamerX - Right after installing Vista, I went to the gateway website, looked up this machine & updated all drivers. It did not include a BIOS update.

When MS attempts to reboot the machine after an update, the machine simply refuses to reboot.

In Device Manager, there are no flags.

Anyone know if this has anything to do w/the hardware abstraction layer?

Have you tried to boot to the last known good working settings? If not have you booted into safe mode and does it reboot without a problem in safe mode??

Edited by GamerX, 19 December 2009 - 07:22 PM.

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users