Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chromium

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

alright, so after the fourth or fifth crash ( cant remember which) in the past 4 months, ive decided to hell with windows. I am going for either linux or chromium, although I have heard they are hard to build.

so, I would like thoughts on which one is better, and help on how to build them.

I am biased towards chromium so I would enjoy feedback on that more than linux.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

I don't know anything about chromium other then its by google, and correct me if Im wrong but doesnt it store your files on an online site? negative in my book, but I dont know much about it. about building, linux will run on any PC that windows will run on, in fact there is even linux variants that will run on PowerPc systems like the old apples. so far as the hardware building, thats just as easy as a PC. as far as installation, that can be a bit of an issue, especially with driver support. surprisingly enough linux seems to load better on prebuilts, probably because thats what it was tested on, but new linux distros are getting better and better about finding drivers for the various hardware combinations out there, and I have run several different versions of linux on my custom machine, the only one to ever give me problems was fedora. I would recomend with linux to try downloading Live CDs and playing around with those, because you can get a taste of what version you like and dislike before actually having to install it. Good distros to start with Ive found are Ubuntu or Linuxmint, both are user friendly with good driver support. personally, Im an OpenSuSe fan, but its not quite as easy to learn or as user friendly as ubuntu, but it is a bit more powerful. anyway thats my two cents about linux, sorry I cant be much help about chromium. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

if you get ubuntu (not sure about other unix systems) you can get something called 'wyne' (sp?) which will allow you to operate some windows programs without having windows.

#4 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Anyone who boots Puppy Linux and gives it a thorough evaluation knows that it is superior to all other OS.

Itís also the easiest to use and fastest OS on earth.

Itís also the easiest Linux with which to use WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator).

Youíll wonder why you ever wasted time or money on anything else.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

It's also the easiest to use and fastest OS on earth.

Based on ....?

I just Googled "fastest linux os in the world, and I got nothing. Well, I didn't get anything recent. So apparently I do not have enough info. Does that mean fastest booting, fastest for handling floating point arithmetic, fastest at task switching, what?

Also, what does easiest mean? Ease of use is largely a measure of layout, intuitiveness, etc. What benchmarks were used (for instance, does it adhere to ISO 9241)?

EDIT: I also noticed that your signature states that linux is virus free. In my world, that means that Linux can not get a virus. What does "virus free" mean to you? I wouldn't want to have a misunderstanding again.

#6 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Gcus,

You donít have to take my word about the merits of Puppy Linux just boot a live disc and see for yourself. You wouldnít believe me anyway.

In any event your signature indicates you are MS fan boy so no reason to waste time explaining how good Puppy Linux is to you. Probably better you remain unenlightened.

PS: This is the first time Iíve met a site admin thatís also troll.

Regards

#7 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Gcus,

You donít have to take my word about the merits of Puppy Linux just boot a live disc and see for yourself. You wouldnít believe me anyway.

In any event your signature indicates you are MS fan boy so no reason to waste time explaining how good Puppy Linux is to you. Probably better you remain unenlightened.

PS: This is the first time Iíve met a site admin thatís also troll.

Regards

he asked some pretty good questions. you appear to be unable to answer them.
ms fanboy or not you should answer him instead of insulting him.

Joe.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

How does asking you to clarify what you are posting make me a troll? And as far as being a fanboy, I believe in using the right tool for the job, regardless of whether it is Linux, Solaris, or Windows, and I am quite comfortable in all of them. When someone claims to have the fastest car/ airplane/ boat, whatever, they are only too happy to provide the proof. Your claim is that I should throw out Windows because Puppylinux is better. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. I was trying to find some reason that I (and others) would want to check it out. All you have done is given people a reason to not want to check it out. That is not how one elevates the open-source community.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

PS: This is the first time I’ve met a site admin that’s also troll.

Regards

:thumbsup: Your the new member and accusing an Admin of being a troll?

Still waiting on some answers myself.

Edited by ThunderZ, 01 February 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#10 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Audience: My personal observations are what I base my claims about Puppy Linux on. If anyone wants more proof I suggest (again) that you try it for yourself.

Gcus: I was warned about you in a PM. Now piss off.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Then I guess this will come as no surprise then.

#12 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

haha, thanks Gcus, I don't like people who advertise other programs in my threads.

anyways, I booted Ubuntu instead of chromium, I know its not the best linux OS but its pretty easy to set-up. I'm probably going to build arch linux over summer.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

personally I dont know if there is a best linux variant out there, just different ones for different reasons. I use ubuntu to recover files off of virus infected hard drives and the like, and to diagnose because its a small OS, can easily be put on a USB drive, and is easy to use, and being so small it does work great on older systems. For my own home use, I tend to run Mandriva or OpenSuSe because they are larger, more powerful operating systems that come with more tools then Ubuntu does. theyre not necessarily better, but ubuntu doesnt fulfill the needs for my computing at home, while it does fulfill my needs for computer repairs on the road. Ive never used puppylinux but i have heard its pretty user friendly to. But I see no reason why this guy is acting like this-if he really thinks its the best he should explain why. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#14 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

yeah, well, he's banned now, thanks to groovicus, so he can't explain =)

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

ya i know i just thought id throw in my own 2 cents. you know, im like that throw in the 2 cents after he cant reply to it. im just mean like that. . .

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users