Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No experience at system building, need advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NeetNeet

NeetNeet

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

I've picked out all my parts all ready and examined the specs and to the best of my extremely limited knowledge they appear to be compatible

That's where the help that I need begins: I need to know for sure that I'm going to get a good and functional outcome from these things
and if not it would be extremely helpful to get some advice on better or more compatible parts

case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119137

processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103692

motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131402

videocard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102841

hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136313

dvd drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827131061

ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145200

power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139004

also, windows 7 64 bit a 19" monitor and a keyboard (i already have a mouse)
also the processor comes with a heatsink i think
and please tell me anythign i forgot

and i just realized i forgot speakers

but yeah! basically my goal was putting something together that will run games and do basic stuff without it being too horrible expensive
i think it came out to be about $1050

oh one more thing PLEASE tell me if there's a cheaper route i could go (a cheaper route that will still achieve my goal of a decently speedy computer)
i mean i like the whole 3.3ghz quad-core thing, but i don't have anything near that so i have nothing to compare it to
i guess the better phrasing would be: would a dual core processor and a different motherboard and stuff still give me extremely good performance? or is the quad core so good that i should just invest in that?

Edited by NeetNeet, 18 December 2009 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

looks good, just like a setup im about to build for a friend, that case is absolutly amazing, im using it myself for my build and the build im doing for a friend, im also using the motherboard and CPU for the friends build, you should be very happy. The memory is a good brand, corsair is very good. I think the only difference I might suggest is a different PSU. That PSU will run your current build, but barely, and if you ever plan on crossfiring your system in the future that PSU will not work. However, might I suggest this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371009 I just ordered it for my friends system, its 850 watt with plenty of power. its also modular, so any cables you don't need you can remove from the system, making cable management even better (which it is already amazingly easy in that case) and improving airflow, and yes its a little pricier, but allows you to expand your system in the future. Some people might recomend a 5000 series card, and if you want a directx 11 capable card you will have to, but if that doesn't bother you that card is a good, powerful card. you should be happy. Though a bit of advice, order some arctic silver 5 or OCZ freeze thermal compount, and wash the stuff on the heatsink off (damp paper towel usually does the trick) dry it, then apply a very thin layer of the arctic silver 5 or OCZ freeze over the die on the CPU. Manufacturer thermal compound is normally below par and layered on WAAAY to thick. Other then that, just make sure your well grounded when working on it, and have fun you should enjoy that computer, all those brands are good, reliable brands, and all of which I use myself (except corsair, while its excellent high grade memory, I prefer Patriot. :D)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

CASE: OK

PROCCY: OK

MOBO:
OK

GFX CARD: OK

RAM: OK

PSU: Get this instead Corsair 750TX (Not modular though)

HD:
A 500GBX2 setup would be wise decision.

OD: Why not get a DVD Burner? LG SATA DVD Burner

Monitor: This should do ASUS 19" LCD

Speakers: Price range? Something from Logitech or Altec Lansing perhaps?

Good luck with the build! :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 07:17 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 NeetNeet

NeetNeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Oh, man
Good things to know
i actually had arctic silver on my list of things, but i didn't realize that the heatsink would already come with thermal compound on it

the psu thing was another thing i did not know
i figured i could just buy another one of those videocards if i ever wanted to run a higher resolution or bigger monitor or something haha

thanks a lot, i'll definitely have to get a different power supply

#5 NeetNeet

NeetNeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

@ReviverSoft
that's funny because that's exactly the monitor i had picked out XD
i'd say i wouldn't pay more than 100 dollars for speakers
i just wanna hear things through them, really

oh and the reason i just picked out a regular CD rom is i already have a laptop that can burn stuff

so the terrabyte hd is a little excessive? haha ya maybe i should save a few bucks there

Edited by NeetNeet, 18 December 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

1. So are you considering the 500GBX2 setup?
2. For $10 more, you get a second burner. Might prove useful in the future.Your call though !
3. Speakers: This should suit your reqs Logitech Z523
4. Do note that your card requires 2 PCI-E power connectors. The 750TX offers 4, for a dual setup.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#7 NeetNeet

NeetNeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

haha maybe even less the 500gbx2
it totally escaped my mind until now that i can have more than one hd

"Do note that your card requires 2 PCI-E power connectors. The 750TX offers 4, for a dual setup."

you lost me here
you're saying i need a power supply like the 750tx to run the crossfire thing, if i ever got a second video card?

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

haha maybe even less the 500gbx2
it totally escaped my mind until now that i can have more than one hd

You can have a total of 5. :huh:

"Do note that your card requires 2 PCI-E power connectors. The 750TX offers 4, for a dual setup."

you lost me here
you're saying i need a power supply like the 750tx to run the crossfire thing, if i ever got a second video card?

Exactly.
Most high-end cards require two PCI-E power connectors, that doubles in an SLI/Crossfire setup.

Initial investment on a high-capacity PSU will make your PC future-proof, as far as upgrades are concerned. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:54 AM

Oh, man
Good things to know
i actually had arctic silver on my list of things, but i didn't realize that the heatsink would already come with thermal compound on it

the psu thing was another thing i did not know
i figured i could just buy another one of those videocards if i ever wanted to run a higher resolution or bigger monitor or something haha

thanks a lot, i'll definitely have to get a different power supply

the heatsink does, but it usually sucks and is put on to heavy. the PSU you suggested would run that system, but barely, if you ever wanted another card youd need a more powerful one. minimum rated PSU for crossfire for that card is 600 watt, and thats minimum that corsair 750 watt would give you the ability to add cards in the future as well, for a little less, but its not modular. and is ideal. not a problem but modular like the antec one I suggested (which also puts out more amps and higher volts) can be nice-all the peripheral cables (PCIE cables, sata power, etc) are removable, so you can remove the ones your not using and clear up some of the clutter in your case. If I had to go back and do it again, Id order modular. not a big deal though, like I said I use that same case and it has plenty of room behind the motherboard tray to hide extra cables. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users