Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Problems with HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roshcats

Roshcats

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

If this is the worng forum,please let me know and I will post in correct forum.

I have a HP zv6000 with XP SP2 that has a strange power issue. When the laptop is on and the power cord is plugged in, the power button and the charge light flash the whole time it is plugged up at a rate of 1 flash per second and will not charge the battery. If you take the battery out of the laptop and plug the power cord in it will not power up the laptop.

When the laptop is off it will charge fine, in about the correct amount of time as my last charger. The battery holds a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour long charge with continuous use which is pretty good considering the laptop is 4 years old and the original battery. The charger is new, an aftermarket type. It is working because it will charge the battery as long as the computer is off. Any help help will be appreciated.

If you need more information please let me know I need to work this problem out because I am to start work and this will be my main computer and I can't afford to take it to have it looked at.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

So you aren't using a genuine HP power adapter (charger) ?

Another possibility is that your battery might be reaching the end of its useful life, as they usually last for a max of 4 years.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 05:09 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Roshcats

Roshcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

No it is not a genuine HP power adapter. The spec are correct as far as wattage/voltage. Like I said I know it is charging just not while the laptop is on.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

No it is not a genuine HP power adapter. The spec are correct as far as wattage/voltage. Like I said I know it is charging just not while the laptop is on.

Well, I guess that's the problem. The power adapter you are currently using may not be fully compatible with your laptop.
Try borrowing a genuine HP Power adapter and see if you can charge your laptop, when turned on.
If it does, you can safely isolate the problem to a faulty power adapter.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Roshcats

Roshcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

That is not as easy as you think. I got the type of HP adapter that has the oval connector. I think it is the rarest connector ever made. Answer this, if you could. Why will this completly charge the laptop in about 2 hours if the laptop is off but not do anything if it is on. I was thinking there was so kind of Bio problem that occured for some wierd reason. The company that I bought this from will exchange but I have to ship back. If you think this is the problem, I will do that because honestly I am out of answer myself. By the way thank you for at least taking the time to answer. I have been to 2 other forums and not even got a reply.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=453185

If you would look at this link above on the HP web site. I found it and it states the charger also. Is it possible that the charger is not putting out enough and that cause the problem. Have you seen that before. If I had a dam voltmeter I would check the output. Give me your opinion and I will try. Thanks again

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

That is not as easy as you think. I got the type of HP adapter that has the oval connector. I think it is the rarest connector ever made. Answer this, if you could. Why will this completly charge the laptop in about 2 hours if the laptop is off but not do anything if it is on. I was thinking there was so kind of Bio problem that occured for some wierd reason. The company that I bought this from will exchange but I have to ship back. If you think this is the problem, I will do that because honestly I am out of answer myself. By the way thank you for at least taking the time to answer. I have been to 2 other forums and not even got a reply.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=453185

If you would look at this link above on the HP web site. I found it and it states the charger also. Is it possible that the charger is not putting out enough and that cause the problem. Have you seen that before. If I had a dam voltmeter I would check the output. Give me your opinion and I will try. Thanks again

That's because the when the computer is turned on, it isn't able to recognize the power input because of the incompatibility.

Continuous Blinking battery power LED Battery The AC adapter is attached and the battery is charging, but does not yet have sufficient charge to power the notebook.

Continuous Blinking power adapter LED Power adapter Insufficient power

This just confirms what I'm trying to say. The laptop isn't allowing the power adapter to charge the battery(when turned on), hence the battery charge remains insufficient and the led continues to flash.
You are able to charge the laptop when it is turned off because in that state, the power adapter is directly powering the battery without ANY interference or control, like a normal charger.

I also have my doubts about the battery's condition, as it might be at the end of its useful life.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users