Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a game so a CD is not needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nerio

nerio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:14 PM

hey all

I was wondering how I would go about installing a computer game onto my hard disk so I can play the game without using the CD. I know this is possible because I have seen it and it has great advantages. I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thank you

Nerio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

This is most widely known as pirating.

The manufacturer makes you insert the cd when yoou play so they can make sure you bought the game instead of just installed it and lent the cd to someone else.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:56 PM

Well, i know some games you don't need the cd (mainly older ones). Rogue Spear and Unreal (once again, very old games) have the ability to store all the content on the harddrive. I haven't seen this in some of the newer games (doom 3 or Farcry), so i don't know if it's possible or not.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

i know a way of doing that, but since it is known as pirating, i will keep my mouth sealed.

Edited by legoman786, 15 August 2005 - 08:01 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

Iknow itsknown as pirating and all but what about the "Clause" in the eula on most games? "You have the right to make one backup copy of this game." Hmmm to run a backup copy you would need a way to run the game without the disk in the cd rom right? So heres a hint "Google the magic words "NO-CD" and see what happens" :thumbsup:

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

but what he is asking is to burn the CD onto the HD and run it from there. and are you serious it isnt pirating if you use it for yourself?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 The Guardian

The Guardian

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

It's called a CD Patch try serching google for it.

Posted Image

#8 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

but what he is asking is to burn the CD onto the HD and run it from there. and are you serious it isnt pirating if you use it for yourself?

Its alright to do it if it is for yourself and you have purchased the game/software and are wanting to use a backup copy so that you don't ruin your High Dollar game.

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:13 PM

thanx for clearing that :thumbsup:

- Rick Cook

#10 nerio

nerio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users