Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spybot finding HKEY_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\securit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hi,
I know I read something about this somewhere, but either I don't know how to use the search feature or it just doesn't work the way I thought it would!

when I run spybot I get 2 things I can't figure out:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Antivirus Disable Notify! = dword.0

and a second very similar one

I have xp, I use mcafee, and ad aware, etc.

I never know whether to have spybot "fix" these or not....when I do have spybot fix them, I think it causes some other problem?, and the two things keep coming back, but if I don't fix them, then I keep getting these 2 things listed!

I have read about this somewhere, but I just didn't understand the explanation....It was just too technical for me.........can anyone explain it simply? and tell me what I should do?

I have mcafee set up to automatically download updates........I think that has something to do with it

thanks! : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:05 AM

Spybot's just telling you that your MS Security Center isn't set up the way MS likes it.
Windows likes to do things a certain way, and if it isn't done that way, Windows tends to whine about it.
Next time you get one of these entries, right click it, and choose to Ignore it in future scans.
You shouldn't get these entries again, because Spybot will simply ignore them on future scans.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

thanks so much!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:29 PM

You're welcome, help!.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

I spoke too soon,

ok, I've read everything and did further research and I'm still confused about one thing...........

if I let spybot "fix" these 2 things (which I thought was what I needed to do if I want to have the mcafee active and on all the time and alert me when there's changes), then when I reboot, xp says it's "allowing the changes" and then I get a box that pops up that says "select your security center" and it says "mcafee recommends you click yes to select mcafee as your default security center" so I did that--I checked yes.

but I think that when I check yes, it automatically then is telling spybot that the xp security center is "changed", because then if I run spybot again, I get those 2 entries again! so it's a vicious circle!

so what's the best thing to do? if I want the best protection from mcafee all the time; isn't it better to pick mcafee as the default?

thanks

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

Don't have Spybot "fix" them.
The next time they come up on a scan, do this for each one:
Single click it, to highlight it
Then right click it
In the menu that pops up, select Exclude this detection from further searches
That should keep them from showing up in future scans, while keeping mcafee as your default AV.

#7 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

thanks again!

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

No problem.
Glad I could help.

#9 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:35 AM

Just d/l spybot s&d ver 1.4 and I got the same two entries. After looking at the Spybot forum the definations dated 7-30-05 was supposed to correct that problem but I still got the entries. As TG1911 suggested, I left clicked the first entry first to highlight then right clicked to Exclude this detection from further searches for both entries. Ran a scan again and those two entries no longer appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users