Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Beta Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PHole717

PHole717

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

I ran the combofix beta (KittyFix) on an infected computer just to test out the beta, and here is the issue I have.

When the computer reboots, it comes to the logon screen, but no accounts are available, and it just has the 'Windows XP" Logo.

I can not get into safe mode because it does the same thing.

It isn't crucial that this gets repaired, I'm posting this more of a heads up that the beta version did this to a computer, however any ideas are greatly appreciated.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000, running Windows XP Home Edition, 1GB Ram, 80 Gb HDD, Intel Pentium M Processor.

I'd post a HJT log, but I can't get into Windows.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Was the computer infected? If so, what were the symptoms?

Any google redirects?

Did you receive a rootkit found message after the System Restore point creation and before Stage 1 of the scan?

#3 PHole717

PHole717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Was the computer infected? If so, what were the symptoms?

Any google redirects?

Did you receive a rootkit found message after the System Restore point creation and before Stage 1 of the scan?

Yes the computer was very infected with some fake anti-virus sotware. I took the drive out and externally scanned it with AVG, Malwarebyes, and Super Anto Spyware. I then booted the computer up into Windows, which it did fine, and then booted into safemode where I ran Combofix. It said it needed to reboot like it normally does on very infected computers, and then when it came back up, I get what I previously said in my first post.

Thanks again!

#4 PHole717

PHole717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Well, after messing around with it, I did a repair install of Windows, which fixed the problem. I'm sure there is an easier way, but I didn't have time to play around with it for too long. Thanks all for the help, and hopefully combofix will repair this issue in the future! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users