Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clone hard drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi all,a quick question here.Is there a good application that I can use to clone my hard drive so I don't have to re-install the OS all the time.Doesn't matter if it's a paid program or not,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

Norton Ghost OR Acronis True Image
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

Thank-you,Tony.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

My experience with Ghost, long ago, is that it's an all or nothing type of thing. You can't extract single files out of the ghost image.
Acronis on the other hand can clone, image, handle single file extraction, etc. Just giving you food for thought. If you go to Acronis, I think what you want to do is image. But download their user guides, read it all first. Or use a trial and see what's best for you. I think it's 14-30 days trial.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

I used Acronis True Image Home 10.0 two years ago to upgrade my computer to a larger hard drive. I cloned my 80 GB hard drive onto a 500 GB hard drive in an external housing, then swapped them out. It was probably the easiest thing I've ever done with Windows. I bought the program.

Actually, I recently picked up a spare HD with the idea of doing the same thing you're thinking about, Plumber. It's probably the most efficient way to "back up" the system.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

If the drive (or a drive in the system) is Seagate, you can use their free DiskWizard - it's a feature-limited Acronis TrueImage:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...oads/discwizard

Or if the drive is a Western Digital:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...606&lang=en

Edited by Platypus, 20 December 2009 - 05:11 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

Windows 7 will allow you to create an image natively.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows...asked-questions

Actually, Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise versions will allow you to create an image as well.

Edited by DaffyKantReed, 19 December 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

I like Image for DOS by TeraByte. If you are looking for something Windows dependent then Image for Windows may be to your liking.

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Thank-you all for your suggestions,very kind of you to reply.I don't know if I have to be carefull here,someone once told me that some programs wipe out your external hard drive in the cloning process.All of my important info.for work is on there,Tony.

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:24 AM

I have used Ghost and Acronis. They are easy as pie and don't erase when they copy.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

TeraByte products do`t either. I use the built in option in DOS for Windows to create\burn the image directly to a DVD. But it can be saved to another hard drive including external USB connected as well.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Do you want to clone or create a backup image?

If you clone a drive, the destination drive will become an exact copy of the source drive. So you can't do that if there's stuff that you want to keep on the destination drive.

If you want to keep a backup copy of the source drive as a file on the external drive, you create an image - this is just another file on the external drive. If the original drive has a problem, the image is transferred back, either to the existing drive if its a corruption issue, or to a new drive if the original fails.

As a precaution, always verify the integrity of an image when it is created before you store it away, and to be safest also before restoring an image onto a drive to take the place of its present contents. If you restore a faulty image, you'll get the contents of the faulty image taking the place of what's currently on the drive... (unless it's too corrupted to restore).

Also, it's risky to keep only one backup copy of an image or images. The media a backup image is stored on is no less able to fail than the drive that has been backed up. If you do try to restore an image and find it has become corrupted, having a second copy somewhere else is a godsend.

#13 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

Thanx again,then should I create an image so I can keep what's on my external.You all have to remember something here,you are not dealing with a rocket scientest,Tony.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Yes, as a backup for disaster recovery, create an image of the drive. That will enable the system to be restored back to the exact state of when the image was made. Choose the external drive as the destination for the image file - an image cannot be saved onto the drive you're creating an image of.

You also need to make a bootable recovery CD or DVD using that option in the program - if Windows becomes unbootable you can then boot up from the recovery disc and restore the image.

You would use the cloning option to transfer the contents if you upgraded from the current hard drive to a new one, bigger, faster, whatever.

Edited by Platypus, 20 December 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#15 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanx again,now that I can understand,will give it a try,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users