Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malwarebytes error code 707 (3, 0)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 mfischer21

mfischer21

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

OK... So i've got a malware infection, fake scanner is called Security Central. The infection is KILLING ALL .exe files and not allowing them to start. I've downloaded Malwarebytes randomized exe file and even changed the name as recommended by a couple of other fixes... but still, it gets killed.

Now EVERY other potential fix i've come accross is to DOWNLOAD a file and run it. WELL... that's the trick! nothing will run! The virus is killing them at startup.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

ok , try this

C:/Windows/System32 look for taskmgr.exe

copy the file to my documents and rename it to explorer.exe , the reason i sey explorer.exe is because it is a known dependency to some malware and it wont disable that from starting , then once you have got task manager open look for a suspicious process all numbers or just one thats using alot of the CPU
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

You can also try to run RKill first. It should kill the malware thats fighting you.
RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mfischer21

mfischer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

ok , try this

C:/Windows/System32 look for taskmgr.exe

copy the file to my documents and rename it to explorer.exe , the reason i sey explorer.exe is because it is a known dependency to some malware and it wont disable that from starting , then once you have got task manager open look for a suspicious process all numbers or just one thats using alot of the CPU

I did this, and it worked to get the task mgr open... and i killed a process that was named Security Central which is the fake scanner's name... it was a CPU hog too... YES! Download mbam again and am in the midst of CRUSHING all remaining Malware!!!!!

Am i the only one who loves the feeling when you know that you are not going to have reformat your entire pc and ruin a beautiful weekend with this bleep!!! Thanks for the help! you are the man!

#6 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

No Problem mfischer21

Regards

Matthew O'Grady
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

Good job matt.. And no you are not the only one...

Please Post the MBAM log

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 ryan820

ryan820

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm having the same issue. I did rename the task manager as explorer.exe but I have not found out which program is causing the issue. Once, I killed one that was using a ton of resources but it forced my computer to shut down. I just wonder if there isn't any other advice someone might be able to give me on what exactly I could be looking for. I ended a ton of programs safely so far and it allows me to install malwarebytes but not run it. :thumbsup:

What other info might I provide to help you help me? I'm running XP service pack 3.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hello run RKill.... It may require several runs,then run mBAM and post the scan log.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way as the malware programs will start again.

Or use FixExe.reg

FixExe.reg

Once open, double-click on the FixExe.reg file. When Windows prompts whether or not you want to allow the data to be added to your computer, click on the Yes button.

#10 laurad121

laurad121

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

I am also having this same problem. I ran the rkill and it didn't help fix my problem. I also found the taskmgr.exe file, copied it to my documents and renamed it explorer.exe but couldn't open it. So I currently can't run malwarebytes, can't open any exe files on my computer and am redirected to bogus websites when I do yahoo searches and am redirected to bogus search engines. Can someone help me??? This is my work computer and don't want to get in trouble over this virus. Oh, I also occasionally get just in time script pop ups and get the 707 error when attempting to run the malwarebytes program.
Laura

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

@laurad121

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users