Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken CPU?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I couldn't get any POST so I took apart everything, and the when removing CPU fan, it pulled the CPU out with it, with the CPU lock turn on (lever was down in locked position). Now I'm trying to place the CPU back into the socket and it's crooked:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Am I screwed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

If it's crooked or doesn't fit...that probably means that you bent some of the many pins which allow the CPU to fit in place on the motherboard.

I can tell you from first-hand experience :thumbsup:...that you need to probably take your time, visually inspect the pin side of the CPU...checking for bent or missing pins. If any bent pins are found, gently attempt to nudge same back into intended positioning.

Louis

Related post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279641/monitor-wont-turn-on/.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2009 - 12:34 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

Good pics. But I do not see it as being crooked. Might just be my aging eyes and the need for new glasses.

Pull the processor back out. Check that all pins are there and straight. Place it back in being sure that it is oriented properly. You can see the small gold indicator on the CPU socket, there should be an indicator of some sort on the CPU itself that shoul match up with it. Lock it back down and reassemble.

Should you ever need to disassemble it or any CPU again use an easy twisting motion to remove the heat sink. Some people will even run their PC for a short time to help release the thermal paste.

Good luck.

#4 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

If it's crooked or doesn't fit...that probably means that you bent some of the many pins which allow the CPU to fit in place on the motherboard.

I can tell you from first-hand experience :thumbsup:...that you need to probably take your time, visually inspect the pin side of the CPU...checking for bent or missing pins. If any bent pins are found, gently attempt to nudge same back into intended positioning.

Louis

I check before, and I checked again, it looks perfectly straight. No bends no breaks. I tried placing the processor straight down into the socket, and it will sit there straight, but as I pull the lever lock down, the same thing happens as in the picture, it moves it to a crooked position again. I'm scared to install a fan on top of this because the rised side of the CPU will have pressure pushing down on it from above...

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

Louis

I check before, and I checked again, it looks perfectly straight. No bends no breaks. I tried placing the processor straight down into the socket, and it will sit there straight, but as I pull the lever lock down, the same thing happens as in the picture, it moves it to a crooked position again. I'm scared to install a fan on top of this because the rised side of the CPU will have pressure pushing down on it from above...

Maybe you could post pics of the other end (pin side) of the CPU for us to verify? Also one of the processor socket?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

[/quote]
Maybe you could post pics of the other end (pin side) of the CPU for us to verify? Also one of the processor socket?
[/quote]

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0660.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0657.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0656.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0655.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0653.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0652.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0651.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/bAbi...06/IMG_0650.jpg

[quote name='ReviverSoft' post='1542186' date='Dec 18 2009, 10:19 AM'][quote name='babicz' post='1542130' date='Dec 18 2009, 11:04 PM'][quote name='hamluis' post='1542116' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:23 AM']If it's crooked or doesn't fit...that probably means that you bent some of the many pins which allow the CPU to fit in place on the motherboard.

Louis[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How are these?

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hmmm...from what I can make out, they look fine to me.
Make sure you get the orientation right, before you press it into the socket.
(The protrusions in the socket should match the empty spaces on the underside of the processor)

The proccy shouldn't move much when you are locking it in.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#8 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

(The protrusions in the socket should match the empty spaces on the underside of the processor)

Well I've tried multiple times and still nothing...when I apply minimal force to try to sneak it in there, I can hear very slight clicking noises, probably from the pins? What should I do? Get some tech support from gigabyte and see if they can help? Or should I rule out some other possibilities first...

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

Well I've tried multiple times and still nothing...when I apply minimal force to try to sneak it in there, I can hear very slight clicking noises, probably from the pins? What should I do? Get some tech support from gigabyte and see if they can help? Or should I rule out some other possibilities first...

AFAIK, after you place the processor in the socket and pull down the lever, the proccy should move a bit (forward) and lock into position.
If you are still unsure, I suggest you get it checked by a technician.

See if the below links help:

Replacing a CPU
Installing a CPU

Edited by ReviverSoft, 18 December 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#10 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

AFAIK, after you place the processor in the socket and pull down the lever, the proccy should move a bit (forward) and lock into position.

Replacing a CPU
Installing a CPU

Um I know how to install a processor, thanks.
Any way to check the socket for any errors?

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

if the pins on the cpu are straight and not missing the problem may lie in the socket itself.
check height of pins on cpu visually to make sure they are all the same height, hopefully there is not a small piece stuck in the socket.
if you hold the cpu down in position how does it feel when you attempt to lock the lever. my guess is there is something in there.

#12 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

if the pins on the cpu are straight and not missing the problem may lie in the socket itself.
check height of pins on cpu visually to make sure they are all the same height, hopefully there is not a small piece stuck in the socket.
if you hold the cpu down in position how does it feel when you attempt to lock the lever. my guess is there is something in there.

Feels normal, not weird crunching sounds or anything when locking it in place. Do you think maybe it's supposed to be like that? Maybe try installing on top of it and going for a POST?

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Replacing a CPU
Installing a CPU

Um I know how to install a processor, thanks.
Any way to check the socket for any errors?

Ah, that was just to show the locking mechanism in action.

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

other ideas:
turn board upside down a slide lever back and forth in the hopes of dislodging whatever. could be a piece of the socket plastic.
insert a wire the size of the pins (paper clip maybe) in each hole and gently close the lever to see if you can locate the offending pin hole.

the main thing is to have proper contact on the cpu. will it boot the way it is ? maybe it will be alright. as far as pressure from the heatsink you could file a little off the clip to compensate.

Edited by caperdog, 18 December 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#15 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

other ideas:
turn board upside down a slide lever back and forth in the hopes of dislodging whatever. could be a piece of the socket plastic.
insert a wire the size of the pins (paper clip maybe) in each hole and gently close the lever to see if you can locate the offending pin hole.

the main thing is to have proper contact on the cpu. will it boot the way it is ? maybe it will be alright. as far as pressure from the heatsink you could file a little off the clip to compensate.

Well I said bleep it and installed the fan + CPU anyway. Did an out-of-case check, and everything booted up: got a display on the screen doing a check, and told me to plug in an HDD (it'll be arriving shortly today :thumbsup: ). So thank you so much for your patience! I just didn't want to force a CPU fan on something that didn't look straight, you know? I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Now I just CANNOT wait to get this bleep installed and running so I can play Fallout 3! Thanks a lot again.

-Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users