Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Messenger wants to close csrss.exe

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 djseanpc

djseanpc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

I am currenty running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I recently tried to install Windows Live Messenger but during the installation it searches for possible confilicting programs and subsequently asks me to close "csrss.exe".

I know this is a system file and I only see one occurence of the file when I search for it. The file is located in Windows/system32. Process explorer and Task Manager show two occurences of the file running. I think this is ok as well since Vista runs 2 different users at the same time (shadow).

I have heard that some viruses can be attached/named csrss.exe but I have absolutely no symptoms of a virus so I'm not sure if this is just isolated to Windows Live Messenger or maybe there is some other error.

Thank you.

Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Have you ran any scans if so what also try opening task manager stop the process then close ti then reboot see if that helps !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

I've run Adaware, Norton, and Malwarebytes and no issues come up. I'm kind of nervous about shutting down this file in task manager because I have heard that this can cause the blue screen of death

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

You can check this process with Security Task Manager to download STM click this link http://download.cnet.com/Security-Task-Man...4-10246545.html if your not sure how to use STM read before downloading, basically it runs itself !

Hope this helps ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#5 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm running Process Explorer currently...isnt this the same kind of program?

#6 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

I downloaded the program and saved it to my desktop. I clicked it but it says that it requires "elevation". Is this a security measure in Vista?

#7 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Yes !

#8 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Process explorer does not show any issues with this file. There are 2 instances running....but that is normal for Vista as it runs a shadow copy of the system file. What now?

#9 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Ok, I think the issue has been resolved. It appears that because I had an old version of Windows Live Mail on my computer that it gave this message because it needed to update this csrss.exe file. So basically I just let the install close the file and the installation is now complete and my computer appears to be running ok. Apparently if you are running Windows Live (in my case, Mail and Messenger) both have to be updated to the current version. In other words, Mail can't be an old version and IM a new version.

Thanks for your help!

#10 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

Good As long as you got sorted ! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users