Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista running slow and Firefox (not responding)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mickellowery

mickellowery

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

I have a Toshiba laptop and Vista is running very slowly on it. Also whenever I get on Firefox it will say (not responding). It will stay like this for a few minutes and then it will work again. If I click on a link sometimes it will go back to not responding and other times it will proceed like nothing is wrong. Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

Please download HardwareInfo to your desktop. Then, run the scan, and it will produce a log located on the desktop. Please post that up.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 mickellowery

mickellowery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

I've tried running the HardwareInfo and I don't see a log on the desktop anywhere.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

Hi!

The text file is called HardwareInfo.txt and is located in the same folder that hardwareinfo is located.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 mickellowery

mickellowery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Alright I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't ask where I want to download it to, but it does ask if I want to run a scan after I download it. I run the scan and it is done in about a second and I can't find anything after that. Sorry.

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hi!

You're probably running it from your internet cache, and hence, is saving the file in your temporary internet directly. Depending on your browser, you'll need to save the target to the link.

E.g. If you're using IE, right click the link, then click "Save Target As...", navigate to your desktop and save it there.

unite_blue.png

#7 mickellowery

mickellowery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

Alright I think I got it here.

Attached Files

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hi!

Okay, so looking at the log, I see a few things:
You are running Vista with 2GB of RAM. Your RAM is lacking, and that is probably the cause of Firefox running slowly.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not this value is correct:
Maximum Clock Speed: 1.9 GHz
Current Clock Speed: 997 MHz
Your current clock speed is 1GHz lower than the maximum clock speed on your computer. Have you (or anyone else you know) been attempting to overclock/underclock this PC?

unite_blue.png

#9 mickellowery

mickellowery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

I haven't tried to overclock or underclock, but I did get the computer from someone, and they may have. So it is probably a question of RAM

#10 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hi!

Yes, RAM is quite likely, but looking at that processor speed, I would recommend you check that out first. I have run Vista on 2GB of RAM, and although it was a bit laggy, I never encountered the symptoms you have.

unite_blue.png

#11 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Have you checked power Management settings. Some laptops will allow you to underclock the cpu so to save battery life.

to check your Power options:

Click

Start > search > power options (You may only need to put in power) > find it and click on it. It should bring up something like this:

Attached File  poweroptionslaptop.JPG   69.94KB   14 downloads

As you can see you can select several options.

Power Saver -- This allows you to make the CPU speed slower conserving battery life. (Although when your plugged in you really can use the Maximum performance or High Performance, they will call it different for each brand.)

Balanced -- This allows you to use your laptop using average speeds you need for day to day activities. (good for those who want to surf the web or just check email)

High Performance or Maximum Performance -- This will make you system use he CPU processes it needs to make your system as fast as your CPU will allow it to handle.

This is sometimes how they Overclock or Underclock a CPU system to preserve the battery life. Ie Power Saver may allow up to 6 hours of battery use, depends on the battery. Balanced may only let you have 4 hours of battery use and High Performance may only let you use 2 hours before the battery is dead.

Just a thought but I would check those settings out first and see if you can maximize the speed when your plugged in.

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#12 mickellowery

mickellowery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Thanks so much for all the advice I'll see if any of these ideas work. Thanks a lot.

#13 Tim Cramer

Tim Cramer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. Thought it might have been virtual memory, so raised that to 6192mb but that didn't help. It's like its swapping other programs running with large memory footprints, but I'm just running Firefox and iTunes and nothing else (except what's running in the background). Based on the previous poster, I downloaded your HardwareInfo program and am posting that here. Thanks for any pointers. As I typed this message its swapped out 3 times. Very very annoying...

Tim

Attached Files

#14 Tim Cramer

Tim Cramer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Also, since I've heard of other potential issues with Firefox, I installed Google Chrome, and have only the resource monitor and Google Chrome up. Its still happening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users