Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ScanStub choking the works

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Elvina

Elvina

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi there!

My Norton seems to be leaving behind this little thing called scanstub.exe, which I think is preventing further scans. What happens is: I open Norton, run the Updates. It downloads them without a hitch. Then I go to "Scans", and it comes up with the message: "A scan is already running. Please wait until it finishes and try again. In the Taskbar, Norton doesn't show up, but Scanstub.exe does, which seems to be associated with Norton. At present it's using 15,928 k of memory, and it will not allow me to end the process or process tree. It says "Operation could not be performed. Access denied". I'm the Administrator of this laptop. My system is Windows XP Home.

Also, all of a sudden there are a ton of svchost.exe process running, all of them taking up 2000 - 4000 k of memory. I can't figure out what they're doing either, but it has me wondering if this is actually some Malware thing that has gotton in my system disguised as a legitimate Norton file.

I recently downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it got rid of quite a few infections (I did both full and quick scans), but this scanstub.exe problem has persisted for a few weeks now. It only seems to cause this problem when I open Norton, get updates, and then try to scan. I believe I've scanned with Norton after this Scanstub problem had appeared once before, and it didn't find any viruses. In that case I had to restart my computer and then scan without running the updates.

Edited by garmanma, 18 December 2009 - 11:52 AM.
Remove log to continue here-MG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

I suggest...

a. Editing your original post to remove HJT log data. Leaving it in will only result in your thread being moved to a malware forum, which...in your case...seems inappropriate.

b. Try uninstalling the Symantec application...rebooting and then reinstalling it. It's probably damaged and cannot function correctly, in which case uninstalling it and then reinstalling it will result in a more functional program.

<<...all of a sudden there are a ton of svchost.exe process running...>>

That's a pretty imprecise statement...how many are "a ton"?

It's perfectly normal for several instances of svchost. exe to be running on a system.

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-is-it-running/

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

Edited to correct reference to McAfee, after I had already read that it was a Symantec file. I guess I'll have wires crossed internally all day, sorry :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

scanstub.exe is a belongs to Norton 360\r from Symantec Corporation

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi there!

My Norton seems to be leaving behind this little thing called scanstub.exe, which I think is preventing further scans. What happens is: I open Norton, run the Updates. It downloads them without a hitch. Then I go to "Scans", and it comes up with the message: "A scan is already running. Please wait until it finishes and try again. In the Taskbar, Norton doesn't show up, but Scanstub.exe does, which seems to be associated with Norton. At present it's using 15,928 k of memory, and it will not allow me to end the process or process tree. It says "Operation could not be performed. Access denied". I'm the Administrator of this laptop. My system is Windows XP Home.

Also, all of a sudden there are a ton of svchost.exe process running, all of them taking up 2000 - 4000 k of memory. I can't figure out what they're doing either, but it has me wondering if this is actually some Malware thing that has gotton in my system disguised as a legitimate Norton file.

I recently downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it got rid of quite a few infections (I did both full and quick scans), but this scanstub.exe problem has persisted for a few weeks now. It only seems to cause this problem when I open Norton, get updates, and then try to scan. I believe I've scanned with Norton after this Scanstub problem had appeared once before, and it didn't find any viruses. In that case I had to restart my computer and then scan without running the updates.

Hi Elvina,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

It looks like you are using Norton 360, please confirm this and also let me know which version you currently have installed. You can check this by opening Norton 360, select the "Help & Support" link at the top of the window and then choose "About".

Scanstub.exe is the executable file that Norton 360 uses to perform a scan on your system and is not Malware. The symptoms you describe point to either a problem with the installation of Norton 360, a software conflict or a possible infection that may have compromised your system. Please make sure that you do not have any other third-party, real-time internet security products installed, as they can cause conflicts with Norton 360. Also, make sure that the Windows Firewall is disabled, as the Norton Firewall is handling this for you.

One of the advantages of having a subscription to a Norton product is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. It is always recommended that you have the latest version installed, so that you can take advantage of the new and improved features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats. Please also make sure that your subscription is still valid. You can check your subscription status by logging in to your My Norton Account at the link below.

Please respond back to this thread and let me know the version you currently have installed and your subscription status so that I can assist you further in resolving this issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 18 December 2009 - 06:25 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#5 Elvina

Elvina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

It looks like you are using Norton 360, please confirm this and also let me know which version you currently have installed. You can check this by opening Norton 360, select the "Help & Support" link at the top of the window and then choose "About".

Yes, I have Norton 360, version 2.5.0.5.

Windows firewall is disabled.

Please respond back to this thread and let me know the version you currently have installed and your subscription status so that I can assist you further in resolving this issue.

I'm subscribed and have a Norton account.

I will attempt to uninstall and then reinstall and get back to you in this thread.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Elvina

#6 Elvina

Elvina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

Okay, I've uninstalled Norton and reinstalled it. It keep stalling and coming up with the error: Failed to create LiveUpdate Manager. LiveUpdate may not be installed properly. :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

Did you uninstall Live Update (which is part of Norton programs) when you uninstalled the Norton 360?

Did you use the Symantec uninstaller...before reinstalling?

Norton Removal Tool - http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Louis

#8 Elvina

Elvina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

Did you uninstall Live Update (which is part of Norton programs) when you uninstalled the Norton 360?

I'm not sure. I assume so since it's part of Norton... :thumbsup:

Did you use the Symantec uninstaller...before reinstalling?

I didn't realise I would have to. I'll try again and give those things a go, thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

Live Update appears as a separate item in Add/Remove Programs.

Although it is installed when a user installs a Symantec product, it is not removed if a user simply uninstalls the Symantec application via Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

#10 Elvina

Elvina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:59 AM

Okay, had a session with a Norton Tech and all is sorted. You guys helped me, though - thanks!

#11 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Live Update appears as a separate item in Add/Remove Programs.

Although it is installed when a user installs a Symantec product, it is not removed if a user simply uninstalls the Symantec application via Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

Hi Louis,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

I just wanted to clarify for you that the LiveUpdate module is now integrated into 2009-2010 Norton products and will no longer appear as a separate module in the Control Panel. Also, using the Norton Removal Tool is the ideal way to properly remove all components before reinstalling.

Thanks,

Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#12 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Okay, had a session with a Norton Tech and all is sorted. You guys helped me, though - thanks!

Hi Elvina,

I'm happy to hear that you were able to work with our Technical Support department and that the issue is now resolved.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, Mike :thumbsup:.

After I had posted that, I thought it possible that this had changed by now.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users