Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help setting up network...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computertiltsme

computertiltsme

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some assistance setting up a home network. There are 3 computers in the home
desktop: Windows 7
desktop: Windows xp
laptop: windows vista

I attempted to try this on my own and on the windows 7 I can see the windows xp computer and a network printer. I can't see a network setup from the other two computers. I want this to be a safe network where I share files and music between computers. Thanks in advance. ( I think I need to clear out all the networks and home groups I tried to create. Heads up)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

Make sure they are all in the same workgroup, don't use Win7's homegroup thing. Turn off any and all firewalls running on any PC. Get the IP addresses of each PC, see if you can ping each PC from the other 2 PCs and vice- versa. Some people have to turn on the guest account some don't, that is trial and error. I'd try it without then turn them on and see if it works.

I am not going to repeat what you can easily find on the net with Google. If you are unsure how to enable file sharing in each OS, Google it. There are hundreds of pages on each OS.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users