Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InternetSecurity2010 - Cant login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tommoz

tommoz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hey guys

I have a problem with one of my computers. Last night it got the Internet Security 2010 Virus. All the usual warnings came up and i couldn't open anti virus's, and it even disabled task manager. So i went online and googled the virus and found that there are several files that could be deleted. As i have had virus' like this before i was confident that deleting these files would fix the problem quickly without having to scan the entire computer. Heres what i deleted.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVR10.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\critical_warning.html
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe

Now heres the major problem, turns out winlogon86.exe wasn't actually a virus, but an actual winlogin program. Every time i login to the computer now, i hear the windows "login tune" play and thats it. Nothing happens next, i get a blank desktop and i cant do anything. Explorer.exe doesn't start and i cant open task manager.

Im thinking about reformatting because i haven't done so in about 5 years now, but is there any other way to fix it, such as restoring the file somehow?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:00 AM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

#3 ibmpro

ibmpro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

I have a similar problem - the logon cycles continually ... I had malbytes so the last answer sucks ... If you can't do anything :thumbsup: how do you load, install or run malbytes? There is a tutorial for this 2010 virus - actually two almost identical .. wish I had seen it 4 days ago ... but like the first writer ... if you can't login you can't do much. ...Well I cant.

Hey guys

I have a problem with one of my computers. Last night it got the Internet Security 2010 Virus. All the usual warnings came up and i couldn't open anti virus's, and it even disabled task manager. So i went online and googled the virus and found that there are several files that could be deleted. As i have had virus' like this before i was confident that deleting these files would fix the problem quickly without having to scan the entire computer. Heres what i deleted.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVR10.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\critical_warning.html
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe

Now heres the major problem, turns out winlogon86.exe wasn't actually a virus, but an actual winlogin program. Every time i login to the computer now, i hear the windows "login tune" play and thats it. Nothing happens next, i get a blank desktop and i cant do anything. Explorer.exe doesn't start and i cant open task manager.

Im thinking about reformatting because i haven't done so in about 5 years now, but is there any other way to fix it, such as restoring the file somehow?

Thanks

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:35 AM

:flowers:

There are Options available, but always remember that Formatting a Drive loses ALL Data on it, so make sure you save it elsewhere, either on an external Disk or Burn it onto DVDs or even set up a second HDD as a Slave and copy it there. Sometimes for really bad Viruses reformat and reinstall is the only way to get rid of them.

First Option is my honest recomendation.

Post about it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Then let the Trained Experts guide you through to removing the Virus that is there.

Second Option is an intrim to do before First Option.

Go into Safe Mode and use System Restore to get you Computer back to what it was before you deleted the Files. That way Experts can work with you with a functioning Machine.

Third Option is there, but I honestly think the previous two are the safest for you.

You could try, in Safe Mode, to Restore back to before you got the Virus, but it is not in way guarrenteed to work.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users