Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total system crash into "blue screen of death"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Grog

The Grog

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

Alright, this one is really f'ed up. Please somebody let me know if I should run a HJT log and post it in that forum for review. Last night I sat down at my computer when all of a sudden in completely shut down. It came back up (or so I though) kind of quick. However, when I went to move my mouse I found that it was completely frozen. I powered down completely and when I tried to bring it back up I got absolutely nothing, no startup screen, no visual anything on the monitor. The green light was on showing power to the tower (instead of Tower of Power - music reference for you youngins) but nothing on the monitor. I thought that maybe the monitor blew out so I hooked up a spare that said "No signal available." This went on for several times and could not get anything. Could not even get to boot to safe made or anythign, even with recovery disk in. Let it sit for awhile and later it came on briefly and went off again so I shut it down last night. Right now it's working again but I feel it's like a patient in ICU and the thing could go down any minute.

It's about a 3 yr old Compaq Presario SR 1930T with Intel Pentium 4 Processor. I have XP Home edition. I run a McAfee Firewall and regularly use Adaware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware. Normally the light for the CPU is yellow and flickers to show that it is thinking. When I first would power up it would be yellow and then go to green and I'd get nothing else. It is green right now so I am getting nervous. Both back fans are running and I have not taken off case yet to see if that fan runs although I am told you might have to watch for awhile as that is not always on.

Recent theory - If that is now working properly maybe CPU is overheating? Wife and daugter have a tendency to not shut down at night so it's on many days in a row. Could it be as simple as that? Better post before it dies. Please let me know your thoughts.

:thumbsup:
Inept Computer User

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends in my head.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:28 AM

maybe CPU is overheating? ........ it's on many days in a row. Could it be as simple as that?

It is not a "CPU over-heating" problem, nor is the problem due to leaving the computer on for long periods of time.

You are faced with a hardware problem. The symptoms point to a failing PSU (power supply unit) ... at least that's where I would start. The PSU on an OEM computer such as this one is perhaps the "weakest link in the chain".

The only effective way to "test" whether the PSU is actually the problem is to replace it with a known good working unit, capable of supplying the system's requirements comfortably, and see whether the problem persists or is resolved. In many cases, PSU failure is a gradual process, starting with intermittent "problems", but inevitably leads to "total failure" to start/run the system.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 The Grog

The Grog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks but I was getting power. Now I've definmitely been attacked by something called ANTIVIRUS LIVE. Claims antiviral but it's wiped out my adaware, spybot, antimalwarebytes, and uperantispyware. It's thorwm icons on the bottom of my toolbar all over the place. This thing is nasty.
Inept Computer User

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends in my head.....

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

To avoid confusion with this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/281747/nasty-version-of-antivirus-live/ I shall close this one.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users