Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd drive will play cd's but wont burn anything

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy_beatz

Crazy_beatz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

i have been burning discs for a long time...i sold about 80 demos of one of my cd's and i know that is probably a lot of work for my burner on my computer, but just the other day it stopped working...i have done a bunch of stuff to try and fix it but nothing has worked. as i said it does play other audio cd's but it wont burn anything. When i try to burn something in WMP 11 it says connect a burner and restart the player. i have tried to uninstall the driver and all of that i just wanted to see if you guys knew anything that could help me out...thanks a million

p.s. i am very skilled with computers so dont worry about trying to be very detailed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Does this burner appear in the BIOS...Device Manager...and Disk Management?

Have you tried using burn software, rather than using WMP as a burn program?

Louis

#3 Crazy_beatz

Crazy_beatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

it is in the device manager and disk management...i havent checked the BIOS, but i can if you want me too...and yes i have tried nero and sonic to try and burn a disc from and still nothing works

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

What is the Nero error message?

Louis

#5 Crazy_beatz

Crazy_beatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

what happens is it wont let me choose my cd drive it says "image recorder [cd-r/rw]" as the recorder...then when i hit burn it wants me to save it as an image file and it doesnt work like that...cuz i have recorded from nero many times before

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

The "image recorder" is the native XP capability...you should also reflect in that window...the physical device (if it's working).

Which, IMO, means that Nero does not detect a working physical burner.

Louis

#7 Crazy_beatz

Crazy_beatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

so is there nothing i can do???

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

Replace the burner (temporarily) just to see if a different one works...if so, the answer is clear.

Typically...an optical drive doesn't die all at once. This function disappears, that function disappears...that's my experience.

Since I don't expect them to last forever, I always have a spare on hand when that happens and I just change the player out.

Maybe others have insights that I don't have regarding such situations as you seem to be in.

You could always try the standard registry edit for optical drives, but I would not expect much.

While editing the registry gives you access to a wealth of options that may not be offered to you through the user interface, it also gives you the means to completely mess up your system in the time it takes to reboot. While restoring a computer with registry problems is now a fair bit more possible thanks to the system restore features built into Windows XP (which we cover later in this article), it's still a good idea to make a manual backup of your registry before making any changes to it.

A manual backup creates a file of your registry information, which can be stored until needed, and restored to roll your registry back to a stable state in case of disaster. This also gives you the added security of being able to store the backup on removable media such as a floppy or CD to be kept until needed

Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

Upper & Lower Filters - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529

Upper and Lower Filters. CD-ROM 314060 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

If you go that route, be advised that registry edits (no matter how standard) need to be treated with caution. The most important step is to backup your registry before initiating any edits. A good tool for doing such is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2009 - 09:08 AM.

#9 Crazy_beatz

Crazy_beatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

to be honest with you i think i found the problem...my IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service is not started up...but when i go to start it up it says there is an error and so then it prevents me from being able to burn discs...is there a way i can fix this?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

The setting for that service should be "manual".

I can't answer your question, but it appears that this service is only important to those using the XP/Windows native burn function.

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1144

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users