Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't turn on...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Just assembled my first computer, monitor won't display anything. Works fine on the other computer, but when booting connected to my new build, it stays in standby mode. Everything seems to be working on the inside, fans spinning, CD-Rom works, HDD spinning, cpu fan running.
Where should I start? :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Similar to other topics, do you hear the single POST beep confirming the hardware check?

Re-check all necessary plugs & connectors correctly inserted, all cards, memory correctly seated, confirm that the CMOS reset jumper is not shipped in the reset position, and if not already tried, reset the CMOS memory in case it is corrupted.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Similar to other topics, do you hear the single POST beep confirming the hardware check?

Re-check all necessary plugs & connectors correctly inserted, all cards, memory correctly seated, confirm that the CMOS reset jumper is not shipped in the reset position, and if not already tried, reset the CMOS memory in case it is corrupted.

Ok well it didn't come with a cap, but it said in the directions to reset it by shorting it which I think I did. Still not beep or display...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,171 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

If there's no POST beep (and of course there is something connected that will make the beep...), what I would do first is remove everything from the motherboard except power (supply and switch), onboard speaker and CPU. If the CPU can run, there should be an insistent beep indicating "no RAM".

If this doesn't occur, something is preventing the CPU from operating - could be fault of CPU, motherboard, PSU or installation (something shorting in the motherboard mounting to case, power connection forgotten/misplugged etc).

If the system beeps, progressively add memory, video card, drives until one of them doesn't work. When you add memory, the beep code should change as the error becomes "no video card". If the beep stays the same, memory or motherboard is faulty (try just one DIMM at a time in different slots to eliminate a faulty DIMM). If the beep changes with memory fitted, then with video card fitted the POST report should be displayed & system halted without finding a boot device. If not then assume faulty video card or motherboard slot. And so on.

Of course, remember to fully power the system off at the mains switch when worked on (not just soft off), and ground yourself to the chassis to avoid problems from static electricity discharge.

Edited by Platypus, 17 December 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#5 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

If there's no POST beep (and of course there is something connected that will make the beep...), what I would do first is remove everything from the motherboard except power (supply and switch), onboard speaker and CPU. If the CPU can run, there should be an insistent beep indicating "no RAM".

If this doesn't occur, something is preventing the CPU from operating - could be fault of CPU, motherboard, PSU or installation (something shorting in the motherboard mounting to case, power connection forgotten/misplugged etc).

If the system beeps, progressively add memory, video card, drives until one of them doesn't work. When you add memory, the beep code should change as the error becomes "no video card". If the beep stays the same, memory or motherboard is faulty (try just one DIMM at a time in different slots to eliminate a faulty DIMM). If the beep changes with memory fitted, then with video card fitted the POST report should be displayed & system halted without finding a boot device. If not then assume faulty video card or motherboard slot. And so on.

Of course, remember to fully power the system off at the mains switch when worked on (not just soft off), and ground yourself to the chassis to avoid problems from static electricity discharge.

Ok everything's out but CPU like you said. I think I might have heard a beep but it could have been the microwave in the kitchen; should the beeping continue as long as there's power?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,171 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

Heh, the microwave in the kitchen... :thumbsup:

If the CPU can run but it finds no memory, there should be continuous beeping as long as power is applied. Depending on the BIOS it may be one long never-ending beep, or some other code, but it should always do it every time the system is powered on.

#7 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Heh, the microwave in the kitchen... :thumbsup:

If the CPU can run but it finds no memory, there should be continuous beeping as long as power is applied. Depending on the BIOS it may be one long never-ending beep, or some other code, but it should always do it every time the system is powered on.

Ok I tried taking off the CPU fan + CPU and the CPU fan pulled the CPU out with it...even with the CPU on...Something tells me that's not good! But I swear I inserted it correctly, with the thermal compound already applied to the fan...is this the issue? Also, I tried re-inserting the CPU and it doesn't place in the socket straight: Did I break it?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by babicz, 18 December 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Two things I see from those pics
Too much thermal compound [or whatever that is]
Look closely at the left side of the pictures. There's a gap on the left side, where it's not completely seated
With the release lever in the upmost position, the CPU should just drop in and come out with no effort at all
You might have to gently pry it out and look for bent pins
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Duplicate topic here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...amp;pid=1542103
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users