Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi boot Problem (NO BOOTABLE DEVICE)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Locobox

Locobox

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hi everyone, while trying to install OSX to a PC from the iATKOS v1 disc I think I comited a

mistake with the "Darwin Boot" utility and somehow rearranged something on the HDD which

rendered it unbooteable, now everytime I boot the laptop I got something like this:

"NO BOOTABLE DEVICE -- INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY"

Before that I was dual booting Win XP PRO+SP3 (in the first partiton = 100GBs) and win7 (on he

2nd partition). A third partition (30GBs) was reserved for the OSX install which failed.

I can see under another PC the intact winXp 100GBs / win7 100GBs / 30Gbs "spare" partitions

but on the laptop this HDD wont see any OS!!!

What can I do to boot win XP again and recover the folders on the desktop?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

multiboot with OSX on a pc is fragile and strange. I use the bios to switch boot order on drives. OSX is built on BSD which uses a very different partition and format method. I would not try to use install osx on the same hard drive. I use a separate sata drive for osx and always disconnect it when installing another os. I used the same method with bsd for years though since even GRUB has trouble pointing at bsd slices if loading from the mbr.

Which boot manager are you trying to use?

This is probably something you should ask at :
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

#3 Locobox

Locobox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the tip on separete HDDs...

I first partitioned the laptop 250GBs HDD in 3 parts, then installed win XP on the 1 partition and a week later or so installed Win 7 on the 2nd partition the third partition was erased and formated under OSX "disc utility" in order to prepare it for the OSX install, as I told I used the "Darwin Tool" for some boot option, before that I was booting with the XP partition I think.

I think the boot manager was that of win XP...

Thanks for the quick response, hope that helps to solve my problem since I need acces to some folders in that partition...

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

Move the drive to another computer or put it in a usb enclosure and get your stuff off if it is important. A live ubuntu 9.10 cd might allow you to move your stuff to a flash drive.

Do this before you use anything that can change partitions or even a boot loader since no software is perfect and somebody has to find the bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users