Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New user accounts won't work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I've recently re-installed Vista with my vista disk because of an error in downloading windows service pack 2. I thought that everything was okay, I copied all of my old information from all of my old accounts into the public profile, and made everybody's account again (There's me and 4 other users). One user logged in no problems. Now, a couple days later, somebody else tried to log in to their account and received the message "user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I attempted to load the other two new accounts, and got the same message.

I know of the user accounts going into backup error, and looked into it in the regedit. For some reason nobody's accounts except for the two that have been logged in to are there(as well as 3 accounts that appear to be owned by windows). In the user file on the hard drive, there are only two accounts as well. I've tried deleting and remaking the accounts with no success. Please help, this is very frustrating, after spending days trying to restore vista and running into problem after problem, vista is starting to get old... very old. Thanks for any advice :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

If I am reading this correctly you are copying the old user data to the new account before they login for the first time?

Have you tried creating the account having them login and then copy there old profile over?

Edited by ratchet48, 20 December 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#3 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

If I am reading this correctly you are copying the old user data to the new account before they login for the first time?

Have you tried creating the account having them login and then copy there old profile over?

What I did was make a folder in the public file for each person and put their music, pictures, and documents in it, so that way when they logged into their account they could access the information and copy it into their accounts.

When I make an account it won't show up in the user accounts file. I noticed that only my account was in there until the other user that could log on did, and now both of ours are in there. I think that it actually makes the file when they log in, but unfortunately none of the new user accounts are working. Whenever I make a new account it doesn't even show up in the registry.

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

Why you don't make the user account, via control panel user accounts, log in, log out, login as the admin and move the Data to the appproiate account?
Documents to Documents, Music to Music.... I Know this is the long time consuming way but it should work, right?

Edited by ratchet48, 21 December 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#5 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Why you don't make the user account, via control panel user accounts, log in, log out, login as the admin and move the Data to the appproiate account?
Documents to Documents, Music to Music.... I Know this is the long time consuming way but it should work, right?

Because I can't log into the account at all. I make it in the control panel, log out of my account, try to login to theirs, and get the error message. I've tried restarting the computer, and trying different names, and still no workie.

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

Sorry about that, I think I am tracking.
So the whole prosess works, create an account thru control panel, log off and the account shows up on the ME, I mean Vista welcome screen, but you can't log in.

So have you tried setting a password for Administrator account in Computer Management. You will also need to enable it to make it available for login. Then switch users to the administrator account and try again. I know this sounds stupid but we are working with Windows latest version of 98ME :huh:

This most defininty a permission issue, as it is not editng the registry.

Edited by ratchet48, 21 December 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#7 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

So have you tried setting a password for Administrator account in Computer Management. You will also need to enable it to make it available for login. Then switch users to the administrator account and try again. I know this sounds stupid but we are working with Windows latest version of 98ME :huh:

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. I know where computer management is but I"m not sure what you're asking me to do in it. Thanks

#8 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

In Computer Management under Local Groups and Users, there is a Administrator Account, I believe it is diabled by default. Right click it and select set password, then right click it again and select Properties. Uncheck Disable this account box. Then you should be able to switch users and try creating the accounts again.

#9 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

In Computer Management under Local Groups and Users, there is a Administrator Account, I believe it is diabled by default. Right click it and select set password, then right click it again and select Properties. Uncheck Disable this account box. Then you should be able to switch users and try creating the accounts again.

And the plot thickens... there is no local groups and users in the computer management, so I go to the Microsoft management console to add the local groups and users snap-on, and it's not available for this type of vista, and if I want to manage user accounts I'm supposed to do it through the control panel. Which we've already established is crap.

For now, I've hooked up our old computer with xp that actually works for everybody else, so while it would be nice to have this issue solved, it's kinda looking impossible right now. I really, really, really wished I would have gone with xp on this computer instead of vista!!!

#10 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

What version of Vista is it? Have you tried running SFC.

And chkdsk /r.

#11 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

What version of Vista is it? Have you tried running SFC.

And chkdsk /r.

I have not tried that, thank for making me aware of it. I'm going out of town for a week for the holidays, so I will run those as soon as I get back and post the results. Thank you very much for all of your help! :huh:
Happy Holidays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users