A friend invited me to help her with her XP Home laptop. She didn't realize that the clock had been set back from 2009 to 2003, her antivirus had expired for 1-2 months, and her Windows Updates were behind by I'd say 2-4 months.
I've cleaned up the computer as explained below, and I'd like to double-check if there are any viruses or rootkits. There are no symptoms of viruses except for the clock that mysteriously got set back about 6 years.
1. I set the clock to the present day.
2. I ran Windows Update and rebooted as per instructions. I repeated this until there were no more critical updates.
3. I deleted her old Antivirus (Eset NOD32) and replaced it with Eset SmartSecurity, updated it, and ran a scan in SafeMode. No problems reported.
4. I downloaded and ran Malware Bytes as in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1537331
and the resulting scan showed no problems whatsoever. (I can post the log.)
5. I downloaded and ran SUPERAntiSpyware as instructed in the same link, above, which means I ran it in SafeMode. The resulting scan showed only 6 tracker cookies, nothing else. I can post the log. (I did this after running ATF Cleaner and CCleaner to remove extra files.)
Is there anything else I should do to clean up?
Is there a way I can post an analysis log of some sort so that someone could give her computer a clean bill of health?
Thanks very much!