Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 waterspirit

waterspirit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

When I try to start up windows I end up with a screen telling me Windows could not start up because WINDOWS\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. It says I can attempt to repair by starting windows setup with the original cdrom. It says to press r at the first screen. What is the original cdrom (computer I own bought from someone else so I have no disks with it) and if I hit delete at the first screen windows setup comes up but I don't know what everything means or what to do? HELP please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pdtnelson

pdtnelson

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Well at the very least the "original CD-rom" refers to a copy of windows that was shipped with the computer just in case something like this happens. While someone else may know of another solution, I don't know if it is possible to fix this error without the windows disk. The screen that you are getting is because of exactly what it says, there is a file corrupted amongst your system files that is preventing it from booting.

The one thing that I can think of doing that might help is booting to "last known good configuration". To do this:
-Press F8 while the computer is booting up. Start pressing it, and keep pressing it (repeated taps of the button) until the computer either beeps or brings up the advanced boot options menu.

-From the screen that appears (Known as the advanced boot option menu), select "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION".

Dunno if that'll work, but its probably worth a shot.

#3 waterspirit

waterspirit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the information. I tried to start using the last known good configuration, but windows still could not start and was given the same error message.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

When I got that message a while back I was able to use a rescue disk (boot disk) from the Fix-It-Utilities 9 disk to go in and use System Restore to restore my computer to a previous date and that fixed it like nothing had ever been wrong with the computer.

All I had to do was put in that disk, start the computer, and select use System Restore. It let me choose a restore point and in a very short amount of time, all was well. Took less than 30 minutes from putting the disk in to being up and running again.

I bought the disk at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks and it has a lot of other utilities on it too, including one year of anti-virus protection. I found it well worth the 30 bucks.

Edited by Stang777, 17 December 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#5 waterspirit

waterspirit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

I will check out getting one of those. Sounds like it would be useful for other issues also.

#6 pdtnelson

pdtnelson

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

That seems like it'll do the trick, though hunting down a copy of windows XP would be best. If you can get ahold of a copy from a friend, you'll be able to use the disc to do a repair install which would fix your computer.

Also, don't pay for a boot disc, there many options for boot discs that can be found for free with a little google searching. The Ultimate Boot CD is a good start. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Get of a copy of Windows XP Home and carry out the Repair process.
It's always useful to have a copy of Windows on you, more so in such cases.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users