Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ~GR~

~GR~

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hello. This is apparently my week for computer problems that I can't solve =( The other day I formatted my HDD and installed Windows 7 64-bit (my processor can handle 64) and then downloaded all the applications I had on it before the reformat. Now, my computer boots up, everything runs just fine, except my bloody monitor. My monitor doesn't turn on. I've ruled out hardware issues because everything (mobo, RAM, CPU, PSU, video card... etc) is all less than six months old (actually my video card I just installed today to test if the issue was the onboard graphics card). The only thing that is older than six months is the HDD, but that's only about three, maybe four, years old. I also doubt it is my monitor because other monitors don't work with my computer either. If it's not hardware, then it has to be software but I already reset my CMOS. I don't know what else to do. I can't do a system restore if I can't see what I'm doing. =( Any help or suggestions?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

Provided your monitor is in perfect working condition, why not connect it to another PC and see if it works?
If it does, then there's something wrong with your PC's internal components, which we will get to next.

For now, just hook up your monitor to another PC (or your PC with another monitor) and post back with the result.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 17 December 2009 - 05:15 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 ~GR~

~GR~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

I already did that. My monitor works fine with other computers but other monitors don't work with mine.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

Unfortunately, the age of hardware doesn't say anything about the likelihood of it failing.

What other indications do you have of the system operating? Do you get the successful POST beep and Windows startup sound on speakers?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

I already did that. My monitor works fine with other computers but other monitors don't work with mine.

Then it obviously has something to do with your PC hardware.

Check these components separately to isolate the faulty one :
RAM
GFX Card
PSU

You can test the above components either on the existing or using another PC.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 17 December 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#6 ~GR~

~GR~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

No, I don't get a post beep but as far as I recall I've never had a beep to tell me it was working before this. Could it possibly be my hard drive?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

It could certainly be the hard drive, but we're just guessing.

If you normally don't hear a POST beep, we're immediately at a disadvantage in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

When you said "my computer boots up, everything runs just fine", what were you meaning, does the HDD access light flash, does Windows seem to load (eg as I mentioned, get Windows startup sound)?

If this doesn't happen, being able to hear if there's any beeping at POST is very helpful. If the motherboard doesn't have an onboard beeper or a case speaker connected, hooking up the speaker if there is one in the case would be helpful.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 ~GR~

~GR~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

Okay. Just to make sure, I tested the PSU, CPU, the hard drive, and my RAM. All three work just fine. My RAM worked fine on another computer, another hard drive did the same thing with my computer, and my PSU is supplying power. This leaves the onboard graphics card, and the mobo. I'll test the on board graphics card and see if that works. >.< If not, I'll be very upset with the mobo.

Edited by ~GR~, 18 December 2009 - 12:50 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

<<...another hard drive did the same thing with my computer, and my PSU is supplying power...>>

Curious as to how you can draw such conclusions...if you get no POST beep and no visuals on your monitor. Just because some juice seems to be flowing through parts of the system...that's no indication that a sufficient amount of current is doing the job...previously done.

Louis

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Okay. Just to make sure, I tested the PSU, CPU, the hard drive, and my RAM. All three work just fine. My RAM worked fine on another computer, another hard drive did the same thing with my computer, and my PSU is supplying power. This leaves the onboard graphics card, and the mobo. I'll test the on board graphics card and see if that works. >.< If not, I'll be very upset with the mobo.

Just take the motherboard to a local service centre and get it checked. It might be the onboard graphics that's been acting up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users