Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help on choosing my next computer~ ( Refurbished. )

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

The title is self explanatory, I have 300-400$ budget.

It's basically for surfing, watching movies, videos, editing pictures, etc.
Basically a media center.
Although it must have the capability to play games older than 2006, which shouldn't be hard as I was running GTA - San Andreas on a 64 MB Intel two years ago.

I need a computer that can run simple games like; Combat Arms.

Now, I don't play my games at full resolution, I care about gameplay, not graphics.

I run all my games at 640x800 and 800x600.
I already have a GeForce 9500 Sparkle.

I honestly don't know much about processors.
I also don't know the FULL potential of ram.
I don't know if it's the processor or ram that gets the job done faster.

And; Because I love TigerDirect, I'm going to be buying a refurbished desktop, basically because the deals are fairly good.

I'm a multi-tasker, I always have Windows Live messenger open, as well as iTunes, Skype, Firefox, and a majority of the time I have Ventrillo open, if I'm gaming.

I don't want a 'superior' computer. I just want a computer that can get the job done.
I don't care about the operating system that is on the Machine.

I have a mouse, I have a keyboard, and I have a monitor. So it doesn't matter if the computer doesn't come with either of the items.

The preferred cost is 300-350, but I am willing to pay up to 400. If I have to, I'll pay 450.
(I basically want a computer that can stream videos, stand editing pictures/drawing, and play low-requirement games like Combat Arms. )
I don't give a care for games newer than 2006, and I rarely buy games for the pc as I have a PS3 and Xbox360.

Any advice and/or help is appreciated. ( But I really want to hear about processor speed, and ram, as to; How it effects games/Multi Tasking/etc. )

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 17 December 2009 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

I like Tiger Direct...but I know that it's not the only computer vendor in town/online. Neither is Newegg, although some may think so :blink:.

I look at systems like http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTWINPHIIX37101 and prefer those...to any idea I might have of dealing with a refurbished product.

Or http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTAMDPX38450WIN.

Or other possibilities at http://www.pricewatch.com/computer_systems_with_os/.

Just wanted to illustrate a few alternatives to "this is all I know" thinking :wacko:.

Louis

#3 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

I know there are other vendors, and I've looked throughout many around me AND online. Tigerdirect just has that free shipping deal going on, and I'm ordering today. :] Also, thanks for the links.

EDIT:
Well I decided to choose a computer from 'Pricewatch' - Which lead me to a computer on Ascend. $29 shipping fee, the computer itself was $376.78.

I added a few things with it; and it was a No-OS computer because I have a windows XP Home Edition and Windows 7 Home Premium CD.

Again: Thank you Hamluis.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 17 December 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

I know there are other vendors, and I've looked throughout many around me AND online. Tigerdirect just has that free shipping deal going on, and I'm ordering today. :] Also, thanks for the links.

EDIT:
Well I decided to choose a computer from 'Pricewatch' - Which lead me to a computer on Ascend. $29 shipping fee, the computer itself was $376.78.

I added a few things with it; and it was a No-OS computer because I have a windows XP Home Edition and Windows 7 Home Premium CD.

Again: Thank you Hamluis.

This looks like a good deal: HP Pavilion m8400f
You can upgrade your RAM and GFX Card as per your convenience.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 17 December 2009 - 01:59 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

Glad you solved it :blink:.

FWIW: I've acquired systems from Ascendtech before and have no complaints about service, etc.

Louis

#6 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Glad you solved it :blink:.

FWIW: I've acquired systems from Ascendtech before and have no complaints about service, etc.

Louis

Thanks, I was looking around for more information about Ascendtech, I'm from Texas too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users