Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 2003 SBS DNS help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanMS

DanMS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hello!

I currently have a domain running on a Windows 2003 SBS box as well as a Windows 2008 Standard server that is acting as a slave DC/app server. I have noticed recently that DNS on workstations as well as the server is behaving in a strange way.

Currently my network is configured as follows:

SBS Server = 10.129.3.1
Slave DC = 10.129.3.2

The network connections are configured as follows

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both servers DNS is configured so that the Forwarders are the ISP's DNS servers and the local DNS is only used for domain (domain.xxxxxxx.com).

On the Advanced tab on the SBS server I have only BIND Secondaries, Enable Netmask Ordering, and Secure Cache against pollution selected. Name checking is multibyte and load zone data has From Active Directory & registry selected. Enable automatic scavenging of stale records is unchecked.

Root Hints has Unknown showing for all IP's and trying to Copy from server does not seem to work (ive tried multiple dns servers).

I should point out that DHCP is being managed by the router but the DNS servers being used are 10.129.3.1 and 10.129.3.2 for each workstation.

Now that I've outlined my basic network configuration I should actually discuss my problem.

When a nslookup is performed on any workstation or server it reports back for an external record it comes back with the same IP. But ping works fine and shows the correct IP. I can also browse the internet.etc... just fine.

nslookup yahoo.com
Server: sbshq01.domain.xxxxxxx.com
Address: 10.129.3.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yahoo.com.xxxxxxx.com
Address: 206.126.97.17

ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [69.147.114.224] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.147.114.224: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=51

This happens for pretty much every domain I try and it reports back that same .17 IP. This .17 IP is unknown to me but seems to be a DNS server. I've tried using different DNS servers in the forwarder, I've tried deleting the domain's forward lookup zone and rebuilding it using the SBS wizard. NETBIOS seems to be working correctly.

What am I missing? Any suggestions what I forgot to check?

Edited by DanMS, 17 December 2009 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanMS

DanMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

hosts file looks fine

#3 DanMS

DanMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Reverse lookup is fine as well

nslookup 69.147.114.224

Name: b1.www.vip.re3.yahoo.com
Address: 69.147.114.224

but when I try to forward lookup....

nslookup b1.www.vip.re3.yahoo.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: b1.www.vip.re3.yahoo.com.xxxxxxx.com
Address: 206.126.97.17

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

Lookup shows a site called awesomedns.com. This doesn't supply anything good and surfing directly to the address leaves a window that says "Apache functioning normally". Have you done an ipconfig /flushdns on each computer and emptied the DNS cache?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 dspiel

dspiel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Yes flushdns does not help.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Read this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816567

Try to manually enter the root hints supplied in the article. Let me know if that solves your issue.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users