Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task manager trying to hide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 rockinroland

rockinroland

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:22 AM

I can't use ctrl+alt+del to bring up my task manager. I googled "lost my task manager and found info that enabled me to bring it up by using ctrl+shift+esc, but also read that I could have malware. I opened Hijack this and did a scan. There seems to be a lot of things on the log Most of them has familiar terms like microsoft, google,avg, etc, But some of them I don't think I've seen before. I don't know how to do it but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to upload the log and if I have bad things. My web search seems to have been associated with weird behavior in the past and I felt safe in "fixing " it with Hijackthis. However, Trying to fix the one instance of it a little while ago made highjack this start acting weird and it just would not remove it. Thinking something may have corrupted highjackthis, I uninstalled it and downloaded and installed it again. I figure it's time to find out how to effectively use it so, here I am.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

HJT is not a quick fix and should never be used unsupervised, HJT is just a tool to point out where the infection lies, there are a lot of other processes and scans to go through aswell, so don't think that by running a HJT can sort out yout problems !

To upload the log if you know where it has saved to normally explorer, when you make your next post make sure it is posted into the " HiJackThis Logs Forum " click on "browse" in the bottom right corner of your posting this will open your explorer window scroll down to the log and double click the log and then click "Upload" this should then have attatched your log to your post make sure you tell them about the problem and what your OS is i:e Vista 32bit or 64bit home / business / home premium !

Good Luck ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 rockinroland

rockinroland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Thank you, doinmeedin, I'll do this if I'm understanding how.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

ive fixed a computer with a virus that disabled the control panel and task manager. I fixed it by running malwarebytes and AVG.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rockinroland

rockinroland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

I've run AVG to no avail. I'll try Malwarebytes. Thanks for responding!

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

alright try that, then I think that you should move this thread to the HJT forum of this site. Hijack this is a powerful tool, that should only be run by someone who knows how or under the guidance of someone who does, and I am not qualified to do so, while the professionals at the HJT forum of this site do. Id love to help, but beyond the advice I gave you, it goes beyond my area of expertise since I dont do anything with the HJT stuff. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 rockinroland

rockinroland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:18 AM

Thanks, patriot 09. I thought I had but I couldn't find it there. I think I tried around 5:30am cst yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it there. I'm a little slow on the uptake with computers..but I learn something new every day(just not a whole lot). I tried the Malwarebytes. I found adware, but nothing malicious..still can't get my task manager with ctrl+alt+del.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:47 AM

hey, computers is a learning experience for us all no worries. like I said, sorry if im not much help, spyware is not my specialty, if AVG and malwarebytes dont work, I typically just save my files to a USB drive and reformat the hard drive. yeah, thats the brute force method, but it works I don't have a lot of patience to be searching through the registry looking for stuff, but I can respect those that have the patience and want to do that. anyway heres the HJT forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ they may take a bit to get to ya, but theres people there that are much better at this then I am. :D

picard5.jpg

#9 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

ctrl+shift+esc is the Task Manager shortcut for Vista, as opposed to ctrl+alt+del for XP.

Live with it.

#10 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

ctrl+shift+esc is the Task Manager shortcut for Vista, as opposed to ctrl+alt+del for XP.

Live with it.

Thats a little abrupt isn't it CCB ! Patience is a virtue or didn't you hear !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

ctrl alt del also works for bringing up task manager in vista as well. dont believe me? try it.

picard5.jpg

#12 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

ctrl alt del also works for bringing up task manager in vista as well. dont believe me? try it.

Have tried it it brings up the login page then you point to Task Manager !

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279710/cant-access-task-manager-wctrlaltdel/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users